Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caution, PC workouts ahead...
Quote | Reply
Got back on my PCs after several rides on regular cranks to make sure I'd be OK for my first race next week. It's almost immediately apparent that my entire leg gets worked better on PCs, not just mostly my quads....anyway.......

I came up with a workout on my trainer that could be done on the open road, too. It answers a few concerns people have about losing quad strength when adapting to PCs, helps increase rpms, gets quality ride time in an aero position, imitates the running motion somewhat, and allows good overall ride time. I call it the 75-85-95 workout. As a real beginner, you could do this in a 60-70-80 workout, experienced riders may want to do this 85-95-105...you get the idea, I trust.

I warm up, then in my largest gear while in my "best" aero position, I pedal at 75 rpms until I hit my pre-set HR limit (this HR range could change depending upon your focus for the day, or you could do it just as easily with Perceived Exertion...many exercise physiologists disagree with HR monitoring ranges anyway and prefer workouts based on wattage...that would be great, too, if you have the capability). Note to self...may need a bigger gear, soon!

Then, I sit straight up as tall as possible (this is the run imitation part of the workout) and pedal at 85 rpms in a small gear...not trying to push the pedals, just trying to pick my knees up very smoothly. When my HR drops to a pre-set rate (again, this could easily change depending upon your focus for the day), I get into a decent on-the-hoods position, switch the gearing to whatever level makes 95 rpms seem like spirited riding on the road, requiring a decently hard effort, and go until my HR reaches a pre-set range for the workout.

Then, drop the gearing and sit straight up, pedalling at 85 rpms until my HR recovers.

Now, go back to the best aero position and push the largest gear at 75 rpms, repeat as above.

I think this is a good option to use instead of the Hell vs. Hell workout where you go maximal resistance until you tire then go maximal rpms until you tire, simply because this workout more closely resembles actually riding positions and cadences used while riding. Plus, it doesn't have to be done at killer effort levels.

BTW, there's no reason this couldn't be done on regular cranks, it's just that PCers often complain about not being able to ride aero for a good while, as well as not be able to maintain "normal" (whatever that means!) rpm ranges for a while, some wonder about quad strength loss while adapting, etc. But the new PCer that sees benefits wants to be able to train through this adaptation phase, and this workout could help.

Glad to be back on PCs, I certainly don't want to lose my running benefits, I'm going to need those for a good race time next week!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Caution, PC workouts ahead... [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice, ktalon. in an only marginally related sidenote - i was out yesterday on the fixed gear. it is way salty and sloppy around here with melting slush and crap on the roads and i can just not bring myself to ride the sweet rivendell PC bike in that garbage. anyway, you know how the old schoolers always used to say riding a fix was like half again or double the miles as a regular crank riding ?? maybe so, but compared to PC riding it is a picnic. that, and also the notion that fix riding will make a person pedal in circles ( if you want to aspire to that. . . . . . .) may be true, but again totaly pales in comparison to actually lifting the leg instead of just letting it laze along being driven from the wheel as is the notable tendancy. it is still fun, mind you ( the fix), just that it is a dang sight easier after a winter on the rollers with the PC's. all in all, like you i would rather be PC-ing - it is harder, feels like it doing better things for a fella, and keeps my feet warmer to boot. if i get bored i wil try your workouts, bud.
Quote Reply