Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help- qualifying for Ironman North America Races
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I'm kicking myself big time for not registering for Ironman Florida this year. It is my last year in the 18-24 age group and I started looking at 25-29 times and realizing I've got my work cut out for me if I ever want to make it to the big dance. I don't have any feel for how much competition there are for qualifying slots to IMNA events. There are about a half dozen races that have slots for Florida. My question is how stiff is the competition for these slots? The only race within driving distance only has 10 slots for Florida. Anyone know how these are distributed? How common is if for them to pass down. The qualifier I am looking at is a first year event, not a biggie like Ralphs or Eagleman. Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Help- qualifying for Ironman North America Races [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the race you're talking about, but at the biggies(Ralphs, Utah, etc...) qualifying should not be that bad. At Half IM Cali last year, you could have signed up for any race you wanted just by being there(except Canada). Most people who want to do a IMNA race have already signed up for it. When they saw how few people wanted the slots, they just said "come on down and let us know which race you would like to sign up for."
Quote Reply
Re: Help- qualifying for Ironman North America Races [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great idea... I'm kicking myself for not signing up for IMUSA. (I was on a bike ride across America when the race went off and figured I could be back in time to sign up before it closed. Oops.)

Does anyone know what the IMUSA qualifiers at Muskoka or Tupper Lake went last year?

Also, does anyone remember how strictly they check ID at IMUSA? I did it in 2001 but can't recall. I have a buddy who's a scratch for this year's race and I was thinking of getting a fake ID and racing as him. Not ideal, but better than not racing at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Help- qualifying for Ironman North America Races [BigToe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Also, does anyone remember how strictly they check ID at IMUSA? I did it in 2001 but can't recall. I have a buddy who's a scratch for this year's race and I was thinking of getting a fake ID and racing as him. Not ideal, but better than not racing at all.[/reply]

Probably a hell of a lot stricter now that you've opened your mouth about doing something against USAT rules.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help- qualifying for Ironman North America Races [BigToe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please do all of us who are USAT members a favor and don't raise our dues by doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: Help- qualifying for Ironman North America Races [Bri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Sweet,

I was told that last year at Lubbock, pretty much everyone who wanted an IMNA slot got one (once again, except Ironman Canada).

www.buffalospringlaketriathlon.com
Quote Reply