Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

56t chainrings
Quote | Reply
Is there any sense to 56t chainrings? I think according to Sheldon Brown's gear ration calculator, , assuming 650 wheels and 175mm cranks at 80RPM, there is a difference of 1.6mph between 56x11 and 53x11.

I'm sure this speed difference is important to someone, but is this the only justification or is there more to it?
Quote Reply
Re: 56t chainrings [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not have any technical support, just limited experience. My previous 650 bike came with 56x44 chainrings. New bike also 650, has a 53x39 chainring. Both have/had a 11x23 cassette.

Going up hill you can have a much easier time spinning up in the smaller chainrings. (good). But dropping down to the lower gear (39f - 23r) has me climbing slower. Mentally its too easy for me to ride the easier gears and not force myself to push up the hills.

Going down hill In the big ring I think its more mental, but I feel like I am spinning out going down hills.

Form me, in summary on flats no difference, but hills I liked the 56x44 over the 53x39. One more thing the local roadies think I am a freak riding a 56 so it has that going for it as well :-)

Rockfish
Quote Reply