Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two Questions Please Help
Quote | Reply
Was recamanded to come to this site. Question 1: I am doing the coeur d'alene ironman(first one) I bought a new road bike and due to prodution problems still have not received. For my 3hr ride yesterday did 1hr on lifecycle 1hr spin 1hr lifecycle then 6 mile run. How much am I being hurt by not being in the proper saddle position. 15 weeks away and will have my ride within 10 days. Question 2: should I go with a 11-23 or 12-25 cassette. No hill in the tri is more than 500ft but I live in Montana and plan to do some mtn pases 8 to 9 degree climbs. To give you reference did my first tri last year on a borrowed bike(to big for me)(first time on a bike in 10 yrs) 43miles in 92min with a tailwind and a 1000ft drop over the distance. Been in spin class 3 times a week for two years. Thanks this is all new
Quote Reply
Re: Two Questions Please Help [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That depends,...

Regarding seat position... maybe it will be an issue and maybe it won't be an issue. You'll figure that out within only a few rides. At any rate, you've got 15 weeks to solve this problem... that's plenty of time to adapt to a proper seat position (and for that matter, ... you will have plenty of time to get a proper ride position - assuming the bike fits).

Regarding should you go with a 23 or 25 (assuming a 700 wheel)... maybe it won't make a difference... simply put, the size of the cog is dependent upon more just the bike course and/or your biking abilities. The cog set choice is equally dependent upon how good of a runner you are as well. I've seen strong bikers use a 23 on a hilly course and get smoked on the run because they fried their legs during the bike. I seen strong bikers use a 23 on a hilly course and hold their own during the run. Why? ...Because they are good runners. I guess what I'm saying is that triathlon is a single sport that happens to have 3 different activities. Your bike equipment choices are made dependent upon your weakness or strengths in the other 2 activities. It's not just Bike dependent.

My suggestion is to do bricks using both a 23 and a 25 cogset... see, which one gives you the best overall performance. Same suggestion goes for your bike position. With 15 weeks left, you've enough time to solve any problems...at least nothing that couldn't be solved in that period of time (of course, I'm assuming you've got ample training volume built up - and, that's has nothing to do with your cogset but it is a more crucial element of success).

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion the 12-25 is a much safer choice. I think you're more likely to wish you had another gear on a climb than you would wish to have one more hammering on the flats or down a hill. I use a 12-25 to spin up most hills and find I can maintain mid 20's on the flats in the 12. There's a bigger difference between a 25/23 than a 12/11, so give yourself more range! Just my experience.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about not having the bike... especially cause it is something outside of your control. Be sure that you are properly fit when you do get your bike...

other things is even htough you are in the gym it would be a good idea to get your nutrition / eating patterns figured out... just a thought.

I stink at hills so my personal bias would be to go with the 12-25, you save more energy going up a hill than saving time on the downhill with an 11.

there is another thread lower down that deals with this issue that may be worth checking out
Quote Reply