Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. Anthony's Bike Course
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the exact bike course for St. Anthony's Triathlon?

I wanted to setup a Computrainer course and need the exact directions of the course (street names, left or right turns, ....)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: St. Anthony's Bike Course [Bearis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is pointless to set up a computrainer course for St. Anthony's. Just set up a 40K course that is completely flat except for one "climb" and "descent" of about 8 vertical feet over the bridge around mile 2.

Art
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bearis, here is a link to a map of the course. It has TONS of turns, and if you are not a good turner (me), then it isn't a fast course.

I really don't think, even though it is all flat, that it is the fastest anyway, because of all the turns. but it is pretty fast.

Here is the link: http://www.satriathlon.com/. Go to "Course Maps" on the left, and the first map that pops up is the one you need.

If you haven't done this race, be prepared for some heat, because the run can get quite hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, heads up for everyone doing St. A's... there is a speedbump and a section of rough road. If your waterbottles are not firmly attached to your bike then they will launch themselves without your consent.

Last year I was using an X-Lab water bottle holder behind my seat and lost both waterbottles (with all my calories) within the first few miles of the ride. Ended up walking the first half of the run course and missing out on an AG win... I'd hate to see anyone make my mistake.

So get some decent water bottle holders!

As for the course, most of the turns are not tough to take at all. Aside from the 180 degree turn down South, the whole thing is 20+mph. (I live within a mile of the bike course).
Quote Reply
Re: St. Anthony's Bike Course [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Zinc,

I remember the speed bump!!

I guess the course will stay the same for this year, correct? I have tried to call the race organizers but nobody answers (I guess they are out getting the race together).

Since you live close by, I figure you have done the course numerous times. What is a good bike time for this course?

Bearis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course is surprisingly slow for a totally flat course. There are sections of bricks and lots of turns, which combine to add some time. There are a few places in the final miles of the course where the pavement is getting a bit gnarly, so just be aware. The number of cyclists can also be an obstruction, but I found the field to be slightly more rule abiding and serious than at the Great Clermont Triathlon. The past two years have been quite windy, resulting in extra slow times.

Disclaimer: The course may be different, I don't know.

The course is in the suburbs and city of St. Petersburg, so it's not possible to ride the course in training for time, too many stopsigns and stoplights. If I had to guess, I'd say that the course is a few minutes (2-3) slower than the fastest courses around, add another few minutes if it's windy.

Anyone going under an hour on that course is really badass... wish me luck ;-)
Quote Reply