Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question about which wheels to upgrade to
Quote | Reply
hi, I bought a Quintanna Roo kilo last season and would like to upgrade the wheels. I have a limited budget and would like to focus on something for the races and continue to train on the wheels that came with the bike stock.

Thanks for any help or direction you may have
Quote Reply
Re: question about which wheels to upgrade to [al] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most bang for the buck - buy a new Renn disc for around $320 and a used from ebay Specialized tri-spoke for around $150. This is the fastest combo and likely the cheapest way to get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the classifieds in this forum, there are some nice wheels available there ;)
Quote Reply
Re: question about which wheels to upgrade to [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks i will give it a shot
Quote Reply
Re: question about which wheels to upgrade to [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Most bang for the buck - buy a new Renn disc for around $320 and a used from ebay Specialized tri-spoke for around $150. This is the fastest combo and likely the cheapest way to get there.

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also on a limited budget and researched for race wheels. I decide for a HED H3 front and a Renn Disc wheel.
The Renn disc is $340. Renn will bring out a cheap front wheel later this year. Mail them for more info (info@rennmultisport.com).
You can get a H3 front for $399.95 (free USPS ground shipping) at www.tri-zone.com. trisports.com sells it for $449. But they quite often have 15% discounts (-> H3 $382) for their mailing list and right no at xtri.com (add that gives you a code).
If you don't want new wheels you could look for used H3s or even cheaper (but heavier) Specialized tri-spoke.
Quote Reply
Re: question about which wheels to upgrade to [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check rec.bicycles.marketplace. Someone sells a Specialized Tri-Spoke wheelset for $250. The post is attached.

Felix

-------- Original Message --------
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.marketplace
Subject: FS: Specialized Tri-Spoke wheelset $250
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:49:26 -0800

700c. Clincher. Wheelset (rear is shimano 8/9spd compatible). These are
the old clearcoated carbon ones (pre "light" version).
Used but not abused. They are a little out of true (they have been that way
forever), but not bad. A couple of nicks and/ or scratches here and there-
but nothing that compromises the integrity. Still a fine TT wheelset or
stiff wheel for crits and the like. I just don't use them. No
tires/cassette/skewers included- I can probably rummage up some usable
skewers and well-used tires if someone whines enough :-)

$250/wheelset (plus shipping)

Thanks for looking,
Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second everyone on the Renn rear, but I would say to get a nimble Fly for $300. It is an aero and very lightweight wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: question about which wheels to upgrade to [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the great suggestions, I race in the clysdale class, I usually float somewhere between 195 and 205 should I take that into consideration regarding the wheels?

Thanks again for the replies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nimble custom builds every Fly they make. You would just tell them how much you weigh and they make it for you according to your weight, riding style, etc.

A Renn disc would be fine for you. They're (nearly) indestructible, and Frank says they're fine for the power-built athletes like yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: question about which wheels to upgrade to [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunny, I love that you keep recommending my wheelset!

I've got as Fly for my front wheel and weigh 200 pounds. Dave at Nimble recommended 24 spokes, which I got, and which I thought was a bit conservative. I also got mine built up around a Chris King hub and it's oh-so nice. The wheel is beautiful, wicked light, and great to ride. It's not a super deep rim, but it is an aero rim. Nimble makes some big claims about its performance vs something like a 404, but I'm not going to speculate on it. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some very informal and unscientific test data of my own but it will be vs. my heavier but fast rolling Rolfs.

Nimble also offers a HorseFly which is a Clydesdale version of the Fly. It consists of a more substantial rim (the rims are crazy strong) and a higher spoke count range. If you're interested, give them a call. Dave is great to talk to and their customer service is great. I'm now a big Nimble fan. http://www.nimble.net

One thing about the rim depth. I intentionally went with a shallow rim vs something like the 404 as this is currently my only front race wheel and wanted something I could use on any course in any condition. My next front wheel will probably be something like a trispoke or a 404. Too bad they won't be as light as my Fly.
Quote Reply