Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PC's question [Tom in AL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in my case i split the difference for an IM after 10 weeks on PC's. i rode regular cranks with a taller stem and used my aero bars. tho i had not really gotten to where i could camp out onthe aero bars WITH the PC's i did indeed camp on them for the race. to me it is kind of an exagerrated version of the classic " power vs aero" position issue. i rode PC style as much as i could and as much as i kept it in mind. i reckon i gave something away efficiency - wise but simply could not bring myself to sit up into the wind on general principal. :) either way - i think there are still gains to be had - somewhat more efficient may not be a lot more efficient but at least it is a step in the right direction. if nothing else it was highly educational - and, it convinced me to REALLY look at a true tri forward/low front ( i still think it is silly to call it "aggresive" ) position for the future, in an effort to acheive an aero AND PC-able position.
Last edited by: t-t-n: Mar 13, 03 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom,

I would be careful about doing this. One should never try anything new in a race and this would be somewhat akin to doing the race in new shoes. You may get away with it and you may not.

If this is your plan, I would put your regular cranks back on and go out for a long ride in the aero position and see if you are really faster or not before you try it in a race.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: PC's question [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

That's good advice, and I do plan on doing a test ride or two on regular cranks before my first race, just to be sure. Also, I have been doing all of my short trainer rides in the aero position on pc's. I still have a few weeks left, and I may be able to stay aero for the race distance by then--we'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My concern is the last half of the race, not the first. Use your good judgment.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not tell him not to go aero, but rather to find an aero position that allows him to pedal with PCs. Raising the bars a little to open up the hip angle just a little more could make this possible. This is clearly a case of aero -vs- power compromise. Because PCs developed greater power, the compromise should be different than it was pre-PC. A LITTLE less aero, a lot more power = faster.
Quote Reply
Re: PC's question [Goatboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but he seemed unwilling to go that way, feeling the need to go back to regular cranks so he could go "full" aero, so I was just warning him. everything we do is a trade off and PC's simply change the equation some.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good point about aero vs. power (or efficiency).

The bike leg of this race is only 10 miles, and some of it is over very bad roads. I want the option to stand up over some of the bad stuff, and to even jump over a couple of places if I'm unable to go around them due to other riders I'm passing, or that are passing me. Yes, parts of the road are that bad...it's two laps of downtown road construction roads. I am also trying to give myself the option of very aero positioning...I just can't hold myself there on PC's for longer than a couple of minutes at best.

I guess I would be fine on the PC's, because there are some really good hills...ride hard up (which I do better on PCs than regular cranks) and coast down while I rest. The biggest problem is if I were to overdo it and cook my flexors...I'd be like a sailboat without a sail for a minute until they recovered). Then, there is about a mile semi-flat portion that usually has a stiff headwind (partly due to the buildings in the area. This is going to require me to hold a good aero position for at least 2.5 minutes...I'm not sure I can do that without frying my flexors.

If I were just riding fast, or riding without others around, I'd be on PCs without thinking about it twice. Plus, this is the first race of the year...and I've only been on PCs for less than 3 months...just too many ifs for my comfort level. Don't worry about me, though, I'm not going to waste my hard work by riding sans-PC much at all.

BTW, I decided to take today off completely...I'm a little toasted from the past 6 days of hard interval swims/runs/bikes. Better rest and recover before next weekend.

Thanks again for the good advice. In a couple more months, I probably would just race on the PCs for short races like this...except for the bad road thing...just haven't practiced jumping potholes on my PCs enough!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: PC's question [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talon, whatever you do it will be a good learning experience for all of us as I am sure you will report on it, especially in view of this discussion.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: PC's question [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand your reasons for racing with the normal cranks and I would probably do the same in your situation.

The primary point I wanted to make was that in an extreme aero position you are now giving up more power than you did last year. I would bet that your power in such a position will not be much different than it was last year, as you will not be pedaling PC style.

By compromising your aero position a little, you will be able to pedal the same way you do on the PCs, gaining power & likely speed. This is at least what I saw for myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I understand your reasons for racing with the normal cranks and I would probably do the same in your situation.

The primary point I wanted to make was that in an extreme aero position you are now giving up more power than you did last year. I would bet that your power in such a position will not be much different than it was last year, as you will not be pedaling PC style.

By compromising your aero position a little, you will be able to pedal the same way you do on the PCs, gaining power & likely speed. This is at least what I saw for myself.

I see the increased power on PCs, too...and I might be making a mistake going with regular cranks. BUT, IF I can maintain a good PC-style stroke (and that's really impossible to know unless I were on them), maybe I'll still have good power. In a shorter race like this, perhaps I can do it. I know in longer rides I'd fall into my old style when I get tired.

I think it was t-t-n that says he's learned to pedal PC style then go to regular style, and actually sees his heartrate drop doing the PC style. That's what I'm going to attempt to do...the PC style without the constant reinforcement...I'm just going to have to do it the best I can on this race until I'm more confident in the ability of my hip flexor units to keep firing the whole race.

And, yes, I'll report my results. Hopefully, it won't turn into another marathon thread like my first imperfect test post! Last year was 1:11:09. This year.....? If there is no mechanical problem, I can't see going slower than 1:05:00. I know that's a big jump, but it's very reasonable from what I've seen in my rides and runs since PCing.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply

Prev Next