Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone heard of a "Bone island?"
Quote | Reply
No, this is not a location of my next sprint tri.

Apparently, I have one of these in the back of my leg, and this may be causing the pain that I am feeling back there behind the knee.

Any bone island experts' opinions are appreciated!!!
Quote Reply
Re: anyone heard of a "Bone island?" [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Island (AKA Enostosisis) a white spot found within otherwise normal bone. They DO NOT cause pain. They cause no symptoms. They must be differentiated from other bone lesions but if you have a true enostosis, it is not the cause of your pain.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone heard of a "Bone island?" [Lehmkuhler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BUT, could a bone island rub against something, a nerve, etc., that could cause discomfort?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's when you take your girlfriend to an island in the carribean and you get a nice room with a big bed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of a bone island as a freckle (not a mole) on the surface of the bone. It's a flat lesion that does not protrude from the surface of the bone. This would mean that it can't really cause friction with any soft tissues in the area whether nerve, muscle, connective tissue, etc. As with anything in the human body, nothing is 100%, but I would look for many other causes of your pain before even considering the bone island to be symptomatic.

You might ask Cerveloguy or any of the other doc's in this forum for confirmation of what I'm saying. Generally, anyone who looks at a lot of x-rays will have seen lots of bone islands because they are so common.

Just out of curiosity, who told you that you had a bone island, and did they tell you that it might be the source of your pain?

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone heard of a "Bone island?" [Lehmkuhler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taku, that is funny stuff.

Lehmkuhler, the radiologist took a look at the x-rays, said everything was okay, no structural issues at all. they noticed the bone island, but didn't think anything of it, because, like you said, they are not uncommom.

The nurse at my primary care physician's office saw the fax result, and said she just wanted to know the location of the BI, to see if that was the issue. Maybe the nurse had no clue as to what she was talking about.

The very good thing is the doctor is actually a runner, and has raced in a few triathlons, so if he sees/thinks anything is wrong, then he'll hopefully see me...I hope.

But if it doesn't start feeling better, I may be visiting the orthopedist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a radiologist. A bone island is actually in the bone...not on the outside. It is something I see several times a day. They do not cause pain and are just incidental findings.

Best to you in getting over your injury!
Quote Reply
my definition of "Bone Island" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is an island where there is nothing but strippers and big, burly body guards preventing anything but teasing from happening.
Quote Reply