Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mtn. Goat Training
Quote | Reply
The larger context is LP preps. I've started doing hill repeats with low cadence/high strength and down on the aerobars one week, switching over to low cadence/high strength upright seated position the next (cowhorns). The latter seems to translate into a bit quicker climb, but the former would seem to also give me benefit for the flatter races. I occasionally get out of the saddle to climb just for a change of pace, different recruitment of muscles, and to give my butt a break but I don't really train that method. During the recovery phase I spin in the 90's to try and retain that ability. Longer rides on the weekends will incorporate about 35-50% climbing. Thoughts welcomed. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn. Goat Training [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only input is that the low-rep part should be short. After all, it is like low-rep high weight strength training and you don't need a whole lot of it. You don't say how long your repeats are, but I would say at most several reps (5-10) of a couple minutes at a time of low-rep cadence is fine - short, hard, done. Then do long hills (30 minutes or more) of higher rep work for endurance. I say "higher" rep because I don't mean in the 100 rpm range, but in the 75 - 90 range.

And I don't know of any reason you would do these on alternating weeks. Try doing one day of slow-rep and another day of higher rep in the same week. I'd do the higher-rep workout early in the week and the lower-rep later. I like to organize my week to go from long, slow to shorter, faster as the week progresses.

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn. Goat Training [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More important than doing hill reps, in prep for LP, I would make sure that your long easy rides are on hilly courses. Learn how to ride easy up hills. Also, learn how to pace yourself when you are going long but starting & finishing with significant hills. If you push hard up all the LP hills, you will not have anything left for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn. Goat Training [C2KRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My only input is that the low-rep part should be short. After all, it is like low-rep high weight strength training and you don't need a whole lot of it. You don't say how long your repeats are, but I would say at most several reps (5-10) of a couple minutes at a time of low-rep cadence is fine - short, hard, done. Then do long hills (30 minutes or more) of higher rep work for endurance. I say "higher" rep because I don't mean in the 100 rpm range, but in the 75 - 90 range.
Thanks, I'm thinking along the same lines. Repeats are on two hills .75 and .5 miles. I'm still bench marking where I am but did them x3 this week. Will progress slowly. Longer rides will catch the long hills. For sure race day approach will have me dosing the effort very carefully.
Quote Reply