Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

gulf coast
Quote | Reply
My brother and I are going to thr race. We may or may not be taking our daughters (ages 18/19) . Becouse of this we don't know how many rooms to get etc. Also it looks like many of the places will ask for a 3 day min. We will probably just stay friday night. Will we be able to find a motel when we get there or a small place in panama city a week before? How packed is it at this time????
Quote Reply
Re: gulf coast [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this helps or not, but I've done Gulf Coast 2x and IM Fla once and have always stayed at the Marriot. It's about 7-8 miles away from the race sight but it's really nice and clean with room service,etc. As you can tell I'm a hotel snob and prefer not to stay in one of the flea bags nearer to the race.

That said, there are two Motel 8's (or sixes) or something that do one night stays. You still might want to call ahead. You can search hotels on the internet using the panama city zip code and get plenty of info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hershell is right, the hotels near the race site (including the host hotel) are "spring break efficiencies," where they can fold the beds into the walls and hose all the beer puke into a drain in the center of the room.

But to answer your question, Panama City Beach so overbuilt (in order to absorb the spring breakers) that I'd be willing to bet that you could find a room late in the game. Last year, I brought my wife and my son, and my wife was unsatisfied with the conditions of the room I had booked so we looked for, found, booked and moved into a new hotel room on the night we arrived (the Thursday of GCT race week). Our new room was about .25 miles from the race site and it was available 2 days before the race... So, although I'm not one to chance it (I like to take all the stress out of race weekend beforehand), I'd wager that you could find a room at the last minute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PCB is gentrifying, thought slowly. Mid May is busier than November in terms of tourista load, but occupies a bit of a lull between Spring Break and Summer Vacation seasons. You can find a room that time of year, but may not be able to be terribly picky about things.

If you don't mind being 5-10 miles from the race site (easy drive, especially early in the morning when traffic's light) you might want to have a look at the Sleep Inn in Panama City proper. It's just on the other side of the Hathaway Bridge across from Gulf Coast Community College. The current rate quote is $76-$72+ tax per night with Internet User's discount, and the Sleep Inn web site is saying you can cancel rooms until 24 hours before arrival without penalty.
Quote Reply