Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how to choose a cassette?
Quote | Reply
I'm beginning to plan for my first A priority race, the 1/2 IM in Lubbock. I can't figure out what cassette I need. From the event web site the bike course is "flat with 8 challenging hills, ranging from 8-13% grade and a quarter of a mile to 1.2 miles in length." So the course is basically very flat indicating that I would want a cassette with a very narrow range but there are 8 tough, short hills.

In general, how do I go about choosing a cassette for a particular race? For this race, do I optimize for the flats and then just suffer on the hills?
Quote Reply
Re: how to choose a cassette? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both a 12-23 and an 11-23 at Lubbock. I rode a 55x42 chainring with 650c wheels one year and a 53x39 with 700c wheels last year. For some, the hills may merit a 25 tooth in the back. It's an individual choice. I like to spin a cadence between 95 and 100, so I would opt for a larger range cassette. I would also focus on the middle gears since those are the ones that you will use a lot. My recommendation would be either a 12-23 or a 12-25.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pre-road the cource this winter. I am going to use a 12-25. I want the lower ratio for the hills to save legs for the run. It's ridable in a 23 but the 25 makes a lot more sence to me.

1*
Quote Reply
Re: how to choose a cassette? [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupid question but I thought I'd verify it before I go to far. On www.analyticcycling.com I was going through some of their gearing functions. I'm using 0.7m as the diameter of the wheel. Is this the correct total diameter? What I mean, does 700c refer to the tire or the wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My philosophy is figure out what gear you need on the hardest climb and go one easier for your largest cog in case things get tough such as wind or you don't feel good. Err on the side of caution. If you think you can do it in a 42/21 get a 42/23.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply