Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

completely self interested...
Quote | Reply
While I hardly feel qualified offering a personal post on this forum, I have a question that I trust the members of this forum can answer. Come may I will be graduating from college and entering the real world. As a 8 year shop vet I am completely addicted to the industry want to continue within the field in a sales or product development capacity. What advice might you have for gaining employment within the field. Is now a good time to look? How does one get involved with the smaller companies? Any specific career opportunities? For those in the industry presently, do you enjoy your jobs?

Mainly what I am looking for is good old fashioned "If I were in your shoes" advice.

Thanks for entertaining this post.
Quote Reply
Re: completely self interested... [cjeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As a 8 year shop vet I am completely addicted to the industry want to continue within the field in a sales or product development capacity.

I would highly suggest if you want to get into sales as either an inside or outside rep, stay at the shop until you find that job. Most sales reps either get hired from within the company, or directly from bike shops. It's much harder to get those types of jobs from the outside. I've known 8 or 9 guys/gals who have been plucked directly from their shop jobs.
Quote Reply
Re: completely self interested... [cjeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are looking to make the six figure American dream salary then you will have a rough time. It can be done but you have to fight a bicycle industry Jihad to get it. The best training for bicycle retail is military special operations and a business/ retail background through college and practical experience. I'm 100% serious. In this business (I own a triathlon bike store) you must be highly adaptable, able to go without adequate food and sleep for 2-4 days at a time, willing to compromise everything else in your life (family, personal training and goals, everything)and work with limited resources. Your best textbook is Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" and Bob Tasca's "You Will be Satisfied" (former director of retailing and dealer sales for Ford Motor Company). This can be a tough way to make a living if you don't absolutely love it. If you do love, don't bother pursuing any other career- jump in with both feet and never look back. "If you do one thing bettter than anyone else you are guaranteed success" Thomas Edison. Good luck my friend. Don't open a store anywhere near Dearbon- I'll do tri-bike Jihad against you :).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply