Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Does danger to liver increase if you are on Lipitor and then also go on Lamisil?

Wow - old thread getting dug up!

Yes, my previous post was 7 years ago ... Jublia has come out since. THIER study was better then the old ciclopirox (Penlac) study, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. Due to cost, I don't recommend very often. Probably not much better then every other topical that has been used for the past 100 years due to mechanical limitations.

Yes, Lamisil is metabolized by the same enzymatic pathway in the liver as Lipitor and other statin drugs. You technically can take them both, but usually I'll speak with one's family physician and either stop the Lipitor, half the dose, every other day, etc. pending the patient's risk factors with their hypercholesterolemia and reasons for taking. If you stay on both, you definitely want to avoid alcohol then during therapy (not that most people on statin drugs do anyway) and follow with a repeat hepatic function panel about 1/2 way through therapy.

p.s. bluemonkeytri - my daughter is starting UofL this fall ;-)

Last edited by: rroof: Jul 17, 17 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [Shiv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies, I didn't realize this was a thread from 10 years ago!

And hooray for drug benefits! The Dr. advised against Lamisil in kids, and for good reason. My co-pay was $2.99 Canadian so about 75 cents USD.
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! UofL going through a bit of a rough patch right now but she will,get,a great education. Will,she live on campus?

Didn't even catch that this thread so,old.
Last edited by: bluemonkeytri: Jul 17, 17 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - was her first choice (had scholarships to 10 schools) - out of state still for us, but UofL has students from all 50 states and 100 countries and interestingly is the most diverse campus in the "south". Several things that resonated with her.

Would be LONG commute, so yes, on campus!

Quote | Reply
Should have said student housing, or living off campus. If u guys need local beer advice....
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
OK, so here's a dirty secret of the Spotmeister....I have nasty toes, specifically the nails. Are there any OTC medications that will take care of this? I'm not too keen on that crap that might hurt your liver. So far its just cosmetic, but I wonder if it could have worse consequences. I've been having some issues with a toe while running, and while I don't think its the nail, I got to wondering if there wasn't a way to get rid of this gunk.

Spot

Just go run an Ironman or a marathon and when your toenail falls off, you're all good. Cured!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you comment on who gets something like onychomycosis or plantar warts? Asking because I go barefoot in the YMCA showers, around the pool, etc. and have for years but have never acquired one of these conditions. Just lucky so far, or is it because only those who are immunocompromised are at risk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it really really bad on the two large toe nails back in the early to mid 2000s.

I had it tested and confirmed and finally went on the oral medication after monkeying around with everything else for years. I went on it 3 separate times and it finally finally went away and never ever ever came back it’s been 12 or 13 years.

I wish I went to the medicine first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - I have had toe nail fungus for many years and have tried many different treatments. I am now getting cold laser treatment with great results. Not cheap though around $160 per session for both feet. Expect to have around 8 treatments. This is a safe treatment with no side effects or pain. In addition, I regularly use Clotrimazole Anti fungal cream on my feet plus Gordochom nail solution under advise from my podiatrist. I also spray my shoes with anti fungal spray and dry my socks in the sun. With my shoes, also leave in sun kill those nasty fungal spores. More effective to treat fungus nails by multiple approach. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [Macca5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macca5 wrote:
Hi - I have had toe nail fungus for many years and have tried many different treatments. I am now getting cold laser treatment with great results. Not cheap though around $160 per session for both feet. Expect to have around 8 treatments. This is a safe treatment with no side effects or pain. In addition, I regularly use Clotrimazole Anti fungal cream on my feet plus Gordochom nail solution under advise from my podiatrist. I also spray my shoes with anti fungal spray and dry my socks in the sun. With my shoes, also leave in sun kill those nasty fungal spores. More effective to treat fungus nails by multiple approach. Good luck

Please follow up on this comment over time. I'd love to hear how you feel about the results at the end, and if they last. I've done terbinfine tablets twice. First time I seemed totally healed, but it came back in about a year, same toes. 2nd time, I never quite got rid of it on my big toenail. My Primary Care Physician is reluctant to prescribe it to me again.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 9, 20 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bag Balm first? Makes my nails look "better."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello spot and All,

The real question is of course ... Do toenails make you bike or run faster or longer?

Perhap providing a more solid push off?

If not .... sometimes they are just a hinderance .... hitting the end of the shoe and turning black and hurting.

I have had one large toenail removed for fungus and it seems to work OK although the nail that grew back is very very small.

It has only been about 6 weeks so the nail may get a little larger ... but for now it is all toe and very little nail.

Debating doing other foot big toenail but staying away from doctors at present.

n the meantime I will try some of the weird cures on the other nail .... My doctor's nurse worked for a podiatrist previously .... and she said 30 minutes sunshine a day on toe works wonders.

Our pharmacist says the newer athlete's foot med works about half of the time but you need to put it on morning and night.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You replied to a 13-year old thread.

That has to be close to a record.

Please tell us what you were doing that led you to comment on a toe fungus post from 2007; we need to know.
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You replied to a 13-year old thread.//

And 13 years later, I still have the one foot toe fungus, the one I had for 20 years when this was first posted. I'm still interested in folks cures, but have not pulled the trigger on the meds, dont like that liver function stuff. And it amazes me that in those about 35 years, it has never spread to the other foot. Just goes to show that for some of us, it is pretty much completely internal. Did all the creams, work to mitigate, but never cure..
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I browse the forum on my iPhone it comingles ancient posts here and there with all the new ones I probably didn’t have sorting or filtering right. I thought it was a new post.

But the original post reminded me how I wasted years trying to cure it myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail fungus cure? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wiping vinegar on my big toenail in the am and pm is the only thing that has kept the fungus at bay. Have been doing it consistently for 1.5 yrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure how nasty your toes are but I thought mine were gross and a bit scaly along with some athlete’s foot. I’ve been doing pedicures every 5-6 weeks for the last year along with a paraffin wax treatment and things feel and look good down there. Coronavirus has my nail salon shut down though so.....

Brett Z

“Livin’ in a van down by the river”
Quote Reply

Prev Next