Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Season is here: Bike shortages.
Quote | Reply
REmember that I own a trithlon bike store, so this is my opinion: Today was insanity in here. WE sold an incredible volume of tri bikes. Some we had becasue we bought them in September, others will be a long, long wait. If you are contemplating a bike purchase for this season you need to be in your Local Bike Shop NOW, NOW, NOW! Several key triathlon bike manufacturers are expereinceing unusual seasonal delays in deliveries that are beyond our (and theri...) control. As soon as the war starts (probably night of the 21st) shipping and security concerns and rising fuel costs will slow things down further. The point: Guys, if you want a new bike go to your favorite tri shop and buy it within the next 10 days. If you don't, don't complain when you don't get your bike until first week of August.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Season is here: Bike shortages. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just sold another P3, Dual and a IM2000 we have to build up from a frame. Get in line....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered my frameset Feb 1st and I realize this is not a long wait yet, but the manufacturer appears to be giving delivery dates that are meaningless. If the manufacturer can keep track of orders as they come in and has a grasp on production rates, why can't they give some type of real deliverey dates. All I want is some good information which I can base a good decision on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Good call on the date. FWIW, I'm in the military and I STILL hope this can be avoided. I've a great many friends to worry about over there at present.

In the meantime, it's a good time to think custom. That said, what are your thoughts about a potential client who walks in and says "I want a tri bike for the following course-types/conditions and these are my liabilities and strengths. I'd like _____ to build the frame to the specs you provide, and I'd like you to build the bike once the frame is complete....?"

Point being, some people might be particular enough to want a specific material or builder.

I'm interested in your thoughts...when you've got the time.

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you sell used cars?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Season is here: Bike shortages. [Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott,

I have a SEVEN Odanota road bike, it is beautiful. Unfortunately they do take a fair amount of time to build, and they are not cheap. Because of the expense, I am always a little nervous about racing it. I have gentlemen who works with me who has hand built a couple of dozen steelframes, one of which was built for Tom D, that I now own and it is great to ride. They are a little heavy, but with the right paint job and components they are also beautiful bikes. There is a lot to be said about custom frames, if you have the patience and the financial means. Instead of a new ride this season perhaps upgrades in the parts on current bikes my be a good alternative.

JT
Quote Reply
Re: Season is here: Bike shortages. [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Seven dealer here in NOLA, and I've seriously considered them for quite some time...but for their road bikes, not tri. Personally, I think they're tri bikes have excessively long top tubes.

That said, I've also spoken with Carl Strong before about tri bike design. I'm a steel fan (currently riding a solid Zona frame), and I think it's unfortunate that there aren't any production steel tri frames any more.

Again, however, I think the decisive factor remains fit. Any reputable custom framer can build a wonder road geo. bike, but I'm skeptical that many understand the intricacies of tri bike fit. ...Thus, the possibility of having somebody like Tom generate the numbers to be sent to the builder. It's just a thought.

Of course, an enterprising triathlon industry maverick might be motivated to work in concert with Serotta's fit system (cycle) to adapt it in order to develop custom tri fit protocols (Slowman...hint, hint, hint).

=-)

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lindquist seems to do pretty well on her s3 steel waterford. . . . .somebody must know what they are doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

I rode a waterford tri bike and would still be riding it if it were not for sponsor issues. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, as well as extremely light. I am selling it, by the way, and will let it go for cheap just to ensure that it gets riden. Contace me if interested at tomenel@triathlete.com and I'll tell you more about it. Either way, Waterford does all their bikes made to order now, and they are exceptional.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Season is here: Bike shortages. [ejs in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, but I do sell some used bikes on e-bay. What would it take for me to get you into this used Trek Hilo today?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody have a used P2K size 55 a Giant TT size S? Or anything with a 54cm top tube. I'd be willing to trade my brand new softride TT7 size ML for a new TT7 size L as well. email me at get_faster@hotmail.com

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

The reason you pay big $ for a SEVEN is because it is custom, anything you want. There are no stock SEVENS. They show their "stock Geometries" but why would anyone buy stock when the custom is the same price. Anyway, I know for a fact that Tom D has custom fitted and had a Seven built to a very specific TRI-geomtry frame for a friend of mine. I have another friend who had a steel SEVEN built to the exact diminensions of the Biancii TT bike (he later sold it to me and bought a HILO). SEVEN will build whatever you ask, probably even a custom Tricycle for my 3 year old if I were willing to pay for it. Another option for you would be a custom Calfee, about the same price range as a SEVEN, but all Carbon. These bike are stunning, stiff bottom brackets, nice finish, all around rockin bikes, check em out.

JT
Quote Reply
Re: Season is here: Bike shortages. [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it wa a joke but I saw an ad for a lite speed ti tricycle... go figure
Quote Reply
Re: Season is here: Bike shortages. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the most common sixe I see going up on ebay... your best shot. also try road bike review... those bikes show up pretty regularly.
Quote Reply
Re: Season is here: Bike shortages. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desertdude, Cid Carduso, Jr., at Insideout sports in Cary NC had a Typhoon for sale...I think he said it had a 54.4 cm top tube. Might check that out with him.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply