Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Honda Element
Quote | Reply
I thought we could use a different subject to discuss on this board. We know about Tom's recent car issues and I'm looking at having to get a new car, so I thought I would throw this out here.

Any thoughts on this SUV? It will let me travel with my bike inside and clean-up would be a cinch. The main drawback I see is the engine (would like a little more horsepower). Any other thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [dukeisno1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like certain design features of the element. i end of sleeping in my car on occaision (i'm a climber) so i like the flat seat idea. the "trunk" storage looks good too, but be wary the cubic capacity they're advertising. more capacity because of an increase in height of the cabin is worthless. you still want to see out the back window, right? i found this out when looking at the jeep liberty.

the element is definitely not pleasing to the eye. it's downright ugly from the front and back IMO. really not related comment... i kinda like both the print and tv ads.

burns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... I'm a tree-hugging anti SUV'er, but... I like it! :)

It is damn functional and that is what an SUV should be IMHO. Granted it isn't a supercharged Xterra, but come on. It's not a bloomin' race car! 160hp would have been dandy 10 years ago. How come we need more power today? Anyway, at least that "lack" of hp gives you some decent mpg, better than just about any other SUV, AND the Element is, I believe, rated as the lowest emission SUV available. You may not win the stop light drags, but at least you'll save the world! Ha!

My next car would be a hybrid Insight if I could figure out how to carry two bikes. Not sure a strap on rack will even work. Probably end up getting a hybrid Civic instead. Not cool, but personally I can't justify owning a car that doesn't get more than 30mpg in the 21st Century. The technology is there, all that is left is for the consumers to support the technology so the prices will go down and the choices go up.

Don't take this too seriously. Just takin' an angle for the sake of discussion.

P.S. How could you not want a 2003 MINI? If the mpg & emissions were better I'd have been the first person in the country to buy one. That is a TRI vehicle if I ever saw one!

Justin - Sticking with his 12 y/o Subaru until the wheels fall off.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im not sure which is uglier, the Pontiac Aztek or the Honda Element. I do own a Jeep Liberty and love it. Have close to 53,000 miles on it and its doing great. The mileage sucks, only about 17-18mpg. I have put a different exhaust and a different air intake which may account for some of the bad mileage, but the liberty does seem to get bad mileage for everyone. On the other hand it weighs close to 6000lbs and has a 210hp engine. Definately feel safe in this vehicle, and I would hate to be on the receiving end in an accident with a liberty.

-------------------------
http://www.ventuscustoms.com Custom Bicycle Painting.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [IsuTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i will say it. minivans rule. it is true, yuppie scum hating them or no. stuff your bikes in there, roll out a futon, stand up and change clothes, switch drivers and move around while barrelling down the road, decent mileage, etc etc. there is NOTHING an SUV or yuppified subaru or whathaveyou does that you can't do times ten in a minivan. all this, and people will likewise leave your vehicle alone as they break into your buddie's audi A4 avant figuring all they will find in the soccer mom-like van is a pile of smooshed up graham crackers and not your P3 and zipp 909's. but, i encourage you all to keep up with buying whatever trend seems like it is coolest - have fun changing out of your desoto tri suit behind your steering wheel - it keeps the van's prices even lower. :)

i
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it. In general Honda products impress me with their dependability and relative quality. After the accident I was in on the way to FIST though, I can't fault the bombproof durability/survivability of a Subaru. My car took a hit like you wouldn't believe and now it is fixed and running good. I'm a Subaru repeat buyer. I would consider a Nissan X-Terra also.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh... well, thankfully a Liberty really only weighs 3500lbs, only about 100lbs more than 4wd Element. Glad to know you aren't driving a condensed version of the Hummer. :)

Cool races:
- Redman
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry got confused with the GMC Yukon, which has a GVWR of 6000lbs. The Liberty has a GVWR of 4950lbs
below is from the Jeep website specifications:

Towing Capacity - Weight Distribution - Manual Trans-53.00 lb Fuel Tank Capacity - FuelCapacity-18.50 gal Cooling system capacity - -14.00 QT Payload Capacity - Standard-1150.00 lb Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Maximum-4950.00 lb Torque Load Limit - -NP Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Standard-5600.00 lb Towing Capacity - Weight Distribution - Automatic Trans-53.00 lb Towing Capacity - Standard-3500.00 lb Payload Capacity - Maximum-0.00 lb Towing Capacity - Gross Combined Weight Rating-10100.00 lb

-------------------------
http://www.ventuscustoms.com Custom Bicycle Painting.
Last edited by: IsuTriGuy: Mar 7, 03 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would consider a Nissan X-Terra also.
I'll have mine for sale very soon if you want it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own an Element, LOVE IT!!!

I traded in a 1997 F-150 pickup for and couldn't be happier. Sure, the looks are unique but the functionality can't be beat. Most of my driving is city driving from job to job and it has more than enough pep to get me around. Plus, real world mileage of ~18 mpg is sure a lot better than the Ford. I work on sailboats for a living and am usually hauling around tools, parts and other misc. stuff. Pretty much every day someone stops me to ask about it or look inside. Most of the comments have been pretty positive. I feel it looks a lot better than the Aardvark (Aztec).

I bought a black AWD EX in late december. As I am in Seattle, and I don't ski, I haven't had a chance to drive it in the snow. Looking forward to taking it to Wildflower.

I added the carpeted floor mats, fog lights, roof bars, keyless entry and the hitch for options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. That's the rated weight. The actual weight of the vehicle is the curb weight...

From the Jeep website:

Exterior Dimensions Base Curb Weight - Manual Trans-3507.00 lb Track - Rear-59.70 in Ground Clearance - at curb weight - Approach Angle-36.00 DEG Ground Clearance - at curb weight - Departure Angle-31.50 DEG Overall Height - Height-70.20 in

Cool races:
- Redman
Quote Reply
I OWN an Element[dukeisno1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, something I seem to know more about than most others on this forum: I own a brand new Element. I've had it for 3 weeks and its already been to its first race, hauling two bikes, riders, and equipment!.

Somebody wrote that it is an ugly vehicle. Well, I have to say that when I first saw it, I agreed 100%. I'm still not sure that I like its looks. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

The guy at the Honda place says "You gotta see the inside" I say "yeah, right. Damned ugly vehicle. No thanks" He says "No, REALLY, you gotta see...." I say "Ok" thinking I'd just take a quick look and move on to the BMWs that we were really there to see.

One look inside and I was sold. The rubber floor. The moveable/foldable/removeable seats. The fact that I can lay the seats out into a flat bedlike surface for those rest stop crash sessions. Pockets and cubbyholes to hold all the loose crap you can stuff in the vehicle. I can hose out the inside after my weekend camping/hiking/cycling trips! The absolutely jammin stereo complete w/subwoofer, the TOTAL utility of it all... I was sold. And at $20,000 it didn't break the bank. Wife and I can still afford the BMWxi we've got on order to replace the Accord Coupe.

I'll admit, its gonna take some time to grow on me, at least the exterior. But I absolutely love that vehicle. More utility INSIDE than the Jeep Liberty, which we also looked at. More than the Xterra. AND....30mpg on the highway, tested by Consumer Reports, and verified by me on the race trip. Normal in town mpg is 24. And this doesn't come at the expense of a little zip either. The VTec engine really gives this thing a good bit of zip. Passing acceleration on the highway is great. Not like my V6 Accord Coupe, or the BMW, but hey, there are only 4 squirrels in there! It ain't yo momma's Civic!

Bash the weird new look if you want. The fact is, this is the PERFECT triathlete/cyclist vehicle. Hands down, better than other offerings. And it conforms to Demerly's rant about putting bikes IN the vehicle vice catching bugs, rocks and rain on a topside rack.

I highly recommend this vehicle for any triathlete. HIGHLY!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ulitmate car. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The element is cool. I would look at one before considering a new vehicle. In a perfect world I'd have an X-Terra, Supercharged SE version, Blacked-out, full bullet proof glass, armored floor, Alpine deck glowin, bass kickin', video in back of each seat. GPS/Satelite radio. hands free phone, heads up display, Recaros, Momo wheel. I'd be cool.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subaru Outback...4+ years and runnin' strong with plenty of power, good hauling capacity, great mileage and ample foul weather experience (including mountaineering/skiing trips to altitude).
Quote Reply
Re: Ulitmate car. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favourite old ride was my '72 Buick Electra Deuce and a Quarter. It had an 8 way power bench seat, limo tint, 88 spoke Daytons (in gold), lowered, and Fred Flintstone floor boards. But I could put three bikes in the back seat AND get busy with my ladies. I could have a party in the back seat (two's company, three's a crowd, but four's a PAR-TAY!!!) if I put the three bikes in the trunk. I used that car as the team vehicle as the mechanic could have a workstand in the back seat WITH truing stand, and have room for a little busy time with the honeys...

Seriously, I did have that car without the etxras (though I did have wire wheel covers with spinners, chain link license plate frames, and TWO gold crown air fresheners, along with the Flitnstone floor boards), but those were the bad-old-days (post divorce). I drive either a '01 Jetta or a '99 Mazda 626 (w/Ford Probe rims, modified with "M" centre caps), and I would probably get a Honda Odyssey for my next vehicle.

I dunno- the Element looks kinda weird and boxy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
went to buy one but it was alot smaller inside than what i wanted. walked across the street and bought a minivan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Element is a great vehicle for 2 but no more. I have been looking into it seriously for a while now. There is very little room behind the rear seats so if you have children (I have 2) and want your bike inside and someone riding in the back then there is no way it will work. The engine is awesome (what Honda engine isn't) and I actually like the way it looks, but you'll still need to transport your bike outside on a rack if you're carry much in the way of cargo and people. If they only stretched the wheelbase another couple of feet it would be ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 7 hondas so far and love their product. I bought an Odyssey in the first year it came out and, for the first time, had problems with a Honda. I thought of an Element but am concerned about reliability in the first year of a new model (something prior to the Odyssey I never worried about with Honda).
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This also crossed my mind when I was considering getting mine. I decided it was worth the chance in that most of the major mechanical systems are pretty much lifted straight from the latest CR-V and that car is a couple years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Subaru Baja (an Outback with a mini pickup bed) a few months ago, and it seems great to me. You can fit three bikes in the bed, it still has a full back seat, great in snow, low center of gravity and it gets good mileage. Admittedly the bikes aren't in the car, but they're protected from road debris by the cabin, and hosing out the bed is even easier than cleaning the inside of a Element.

Looks a little weird, like the Element, but it seems to work.

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   Here's to owning weird looking vehicles, Deke! FYI, my very first car was the original ugly-mobile: A 1976 AMC pacer, the fishbowl on wheels! I don't remember fitting any bikes in it, but I recall it making a fairly decent mobile love shack for a 17-18 year old Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just last week I had a discussion with a sociologist and former futurist with GM about the aesthetic and appeal of sport utes. We came down to two concusions the first is that SUV are simply a bigger is better defense strategy, meaning it essentialy comes down to the feeling of domination and personal security that driving a huge box with big tires gives you. Second, and more relevant in this situation, is that WWII produced a utility aesthetic in america, meaning the ulgy and usefull is the most beutiful. It seems like the Element applies specifically to the latter motivation. What does this have to do with your next car: everything.

Personally I find the Element, like a supercharged nissan X-Terra, incredibly appealing. Being able to sleep inside, the height, the rubber floor, the cool fold up seats, black rubbermade plastic body panels, shoebox design, suicide doors are all features that speak to me. But if you notice none of those features have anyting to do with the primary use of the vehicle: getting you from point A to point B. You can be sure that the Element will handle poorly, accelerate slowly and generally drive like a bus. The whole point is that it is easy to become distracted from the primary goal of the product: transportation. When you view it that way the Element makes less sense. It is at best mediocre on the road and there is no way I would ever try to go off road with the thing. From that standpont the 21 MPG does not seem all that worth it. And when you consider that you can always sleep under the stars and put your gear on the roof the advantages of the element are at best marginal. In a way you have to see the element for what it really is, hip minivan.

That leads two options real SUV or a sport wagon like a subaru. Being an SUV driver I will say that they are great when you take them off road. Rompin on old logging roads in a 4WD is incredibly fun. If that is not your ball of wax then an SUV really is a waste. It is not as much a gas mileage issue, becuase you can save way more gas by riding your bike, but an issue of fun. Having borrowed a friends WRX wagon the other week I am completely converted to the car side of things. The fact of the matter is that I drive on road without a bunch of gear far more than I go off road with a bunch of gear.

My advice. Go drive a WRX and I guarantee you that the element will be far less attractive.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [cjeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Go drive a WRX and I guarantee you that the element will be far less attractive.
Try and put a bike in a WRX (much less two bikes and a ton of gear) and the WRX will look far less attractive. Not to mention that a stripped WRX costs a lot more than a loaded Element. Don't get me wrong, the WRX is a wonderful car, but it's a completely different vehicle. The two just don't compare at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Honda Element [cjeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well, obviously, cjeder, you have never driven the Element. With its iVTec engine, which sits 4cm lower than in, say a CRV or Ford Escape, it has a remarkably low center of gravity and some serious zip. While it is nott a 200+hp speedster like the WRX or some other compact car, it can hold its own on the road. There is plenty of oomph to blast off from 65 to 85 while passing on the highway. It accelerates well stoplight to stoplight too. It corners better than any other SUV out there, with the VERY possible exception of the Outback. Certainly better than any truck-like/type. The Xterra handles like a short-bus. The Element handles like a small sedan.

In the same way that a P3 isn't for you if you mostly do road rides in the mountains, you have to consider what you are looking for. If your definition of SUV requires 4wd, offroad capabilities, then it isn't for you. If you want a souped up speedy import racer vehicle, then this isnt for you. If SUV means you rarely leave the road, but need a low maintenance vehicle to haul your triathlon crap around and occasionally leave pavement to drive on impoved dirt/rock roads to get to the trailhead, then the Element is the right vehicle.
Quote Reply