Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon seat and chain stays? Yea or Nay
Quote | Reply
My never ending pursuit of the right bike has now led me to research bikes with carbon rear ends (attached to aluminum). In my mind I like the idea of an aluminum aero tube frame in front plus the theoretic advantage of less road buzz for the longer courses. Besides the possible problems at the frame/carbon interface what are the other disadvantages? Is there loss of stiffness/ acceleration? Particularly looking at the Yaqui Carbo and the Guru trilite. How about the difference between carbon seat stays only versus carbon seat and chain stays. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seat and chain stays? Yea or Nay [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Mandaric says his carbon stays provide a stiffer rear triangle than his non-carbon stays. I have a friend with the Guru Trilight...that's a whole rear triangle of carbon. I had the Guru Cronalu' which has aluminum curved seat and chain stays. The Trilight was the stiffer of the two Guru's. I don't know how much more comfortable one was over the other, though. I can tell you the Cronalu' was VERY comfortable to me. I'm 182, so lighter riders might not feel it is as comfortable.

Bunnyman, a grizzled veteran with lots of experience, is against the carbon-aluminum "Frankenstein" bikes. I don't know nearly as much as he does about these potential mini-battery corrosion possibilities that the carbon-aluminum concoctions can produce, but, I think they have it figured out now, and concequently put enough of the right kind of epoxy in the joint to isolate the materials so this doesn't (theoretically) happen.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that Ves knows how to build the Frankenbike, as he is a great builder. If you must get a Frankenbike, he's the guy to get it from. Either him or Colnago.

I have checked the specs of the Frankenbike stays. I would have no hesitation using them in a carbon bike, as it would be one way to get true, correct stays in a very reliable (and comparatively cheap) means. But nothing in the literature says ANYTHING about the prevention of galvanic corrosion. That scares me, and it certainly should scare you.

As Mr. Talon says, I am a "grizzled veteran" (though I thought that every time I clean myself, my fur looks nice and neat), and I have seen galvanic corrosion, and it is not pretty. Some would argue that the catalyst would have a hard time getting to the area of bonding, but on my road bike, Gatorade eats my finish in the BB/ seat junction, whereas it only merely gets all over the BB/chainstay junction.

I could see the rear end of the carbon-stayed bike being stiffer, but because of the glue and the extra "lug", it will also be more than likely heavier. I also see a potential area of stress, unless everywhere has been properly reinforced, which will add weight.

I am not conviced. But Mr. Madaric or Mr. Colnago would probably build you one hell of a nice bike using Frankenstein parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seat and chain stays? Yea or Nay [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uhhhh. whatever. the stays are built as a unit and many different guys are using them epoxied into their rear ends as per the manufacurer's guide. the "reactionary " carbon our man bunny fears so much is INSIDE the matrix of the stay unit itself - mr mandaric builds a fine bike but anybody building with these things is gonna know how to put them together as well the next guy. it is hard to imagine just what b-man believes mandaric is doing to prevent his dreaded galvanic action as opposed to say, sano or strong.

they are a spiffy little thing done mostly because they can and people like it. upsides include looks, maybe a little different ride, could be stiffness depending. downsides include weight and possibly ride depending. if it galvanically corrodes down the line you will know it - there is little to "fear". get one if you think it looks cool - most builders who do both will say it simply a matter of taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
        To be brief about it. I think on and aluminum frame you are better served with a carbon fiber seat post. Much less money and it is in the right pace to isolate you from the bad vibes running through your frame.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seat and chain stays? Yea or Nay [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. It's impossible to make generalizations from company to company and design to design.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seat and chain stays? Yea or Nay [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, specifically what do you think about the Carbo? Have you ridden yours yet? Any thoughts about the entire carbon rearend of the Guru Trilite? I have been waiting for your thoughts on carbon seatstays on your website but sounds like you've been busy making the cash register sing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The workmanship on the rear triangle of the carbo is head and shoulders above other carbon rear ends. Ves does an incredibly precise job of mating the carbon stays to the aluminum. Some manufacturers use a sticker to cover the joint between the carbon and the aluminum. Ves leaves it bare: Aluminum meets carbon in a nearly seamless looking transition. I have not ridden mine yet, I'm still building it (I have customer's bikes to build) but I am looking forward to it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seat and chain stays? Yea or Nay [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is being painted this weekend! Can hardly wait...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply