Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triple or double?
Quote | Reply
I want to try a different size crank that has a triple ring on it. I have a double on the bike I want to try the new size on. Can you take the inner chainring off and use it as a double to try? The bottom bracket is what the different size is at right?

any help?
Quote Reply
Re: Triple or double? [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking off the inner chain ring will probably give you enough clearance. Try it. You will find out fast enough.

You may have to struggle to get the front derailleur to work right. I don't know if you will have enough adjustment range in there or not.

Keep in mind that the cranks will probably be wider apart with the triple. That has never bothered me, but just keep it in mind as you try to evaluate the longer cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple or double? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that's what I thought just try it--its only going to be on the tracx stand
Quote Reply
Re: Triple or double? [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same question. Per my LBS, you need to change the bb. There's going to be a rub somewhere. Wouldn't risk scratching the frame. Let us know what you did in the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple or double? [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably won't have to change the BB if you take off the inner ring. Actually, The triple almost clears on my P3 with the double bottom bracket. Almost does't cut it however. It would clear if the bolt holding the small chainring were recessed like the bolts holding the big chainring.
Last edited by: ajfranke: Mar 7, 03 6:41
Quote Reply