Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's with deleting posts??
Quote | Reply
Maybe I've missed something, but there's been an awful lot of people deleting posts lately. I've never really minded when Dan has done his occasional post deletion (always a hot topic in its own right), but this one really gets to me. Is the removal of posts an effort to erase from time and space the fact that participation in a thread ever occured? I like the fact that this board gives us the ability to edit our posts to correct typos or add clarification, but if this goes hand in hand with the ability to completely change what was posted, then I'm not sure it's a good feature to have. It seems that only inflammatory or controversial posts get deleted. I find this curious. As if the author wanted to stir things up then live little or no trace of their efforts. It seems to me that rather that deleting posts, we should think about what we write before we submit it.Almost as if once a post gets submitted it becomes "property" of the entire forum, which is of course owned by Dan. I'm sure there is more to the story here, and if so, could someone fill me in?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: What's with deleting posts?? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks, I thought very carefully about what I wrote in my post. However the discussion was going towards dangerous grounds, and even though I do believe all I wrote, I didn't want the discussion moving towards that is not appropriate for this forum. That was a mistake in the first place to answer one particular post. On this I agree.

I can summarize the whole thread privately however.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with deleting posts?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to rehash the thread, I read it before it was deleted. I simply wonder if having the ability to delete and edit posts is in some way encouraging people to post things they otherwise would not. Since this board is primarily managed through "self censorship", I guess I'd rather that this be done by not posting in the first place then by posting things then "taking it back". Do you think, for instance, that you would not have written your response to that one post if you knew the submission was more final?

Also, it has happened on more than that one thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only case I would not post is if I had known before some answers would be extreme somehow.
I was not expecting this on this forum.
my mistake. My aim was not to show how right I was or anything. Discussion is healthy, when there is one and it is constructive. I'd gladly changed my mind if someone proves me wrong.
However, the way it was going, that was not going to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with deleting posts?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never understood the phenomenon of webmasters deleting posts. The first time it happened to me, I felt like somebody had stolen my mail or something. I reckon the best argument for it is "it's my ballfield, play by my rules". We get off topic in these forums at time (you should see www.letsrun.com) but I think it makes it more fun. Recently I posted on another well-known forum I won't mention by name...I guy wrote in and said he was waking up at 2 or 3 AM hungry and uanble to go back to sleep....a decent question and something we all experience when really training hard....I posted for him to down a half-gallon of Haagen Daaz at midnight and that should tide him over till morning. Next day I found my post was deleted!! Now, maybe I should have given a more "Paleo" suggestion than ice cream but I sorta meant it as a joke anyway.

I bet since we have to register to post on this forum Dan has had less reason to delete posts, though.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with deleting posts?? [chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eheheh....reference to the paleo version of the ice cream tells me where this was posted...
I missed it...however, I think this was a very valid argument...Haagen Dazs is good for you!
:-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't see Francois' post but I was going back and reviewing the epic thread started by Ktalon and all the posts by Fred were deleted and it made absolutely no sense. It is not as if we all know who Fred is such that he should be embarrassed by his posts if he suddenly thought he was wrong or he suddenly though it was beneath him to be associated with such nitwits.

Didn't make any sense to me. I think Francois was trying to stop something before it got bad. In the case of the Talon thread, it was too late :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: What's with deleting posts?? [chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are self-deleted posts. Not deleted by Dan, but by the person who posted.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with deleting posts?? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Day wrote: I think Francois was trying to stop something before it got bad. In the case of the Talon thread, it was too late :-)

To tell you the truth, I'm glad that thread seems to have died!

I'm sure it will start again some day, as I intend to do another test, hopefully one that is more meaningful.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just for the record, i believe i've deleted only one post in the history of the board, and i've banned one member (orang). so if posts are deleted, i'm not the culprit.

i think this has been explained below by others, but i thought i'd just restate this in case.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What's with deleting posts?? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I knew these were self deleted. Looking back, I guess I didn't make that very clear in my initial post. I dunno, but for some reason I have more of a problem in general with the self deletion we've seen as of late than I do with you very rarely pulling something like Orang's posts.
Quote Reply