Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubular/clincher IM combo:logistic nightmare?
Quote | Reply
  I'm readying myself for IM Brazil. In the build-up I've decided to buy a disc. My front wheel will be a Carbone or Specialized tri spoke clincher, the rear disk tubular. Anyone out there do this? Are there any unforseen logistical nightmares awaiting me? I guess I'd pack one tube, a patch kit, and one tubular on the back end of the bike.

BTW - Bunnyman and Gerard, I had asked you guys about a slight sway in my frame a couple months back. It's been thouroughly looked over by three people. It's fine. I was a little freaked out at the time. -KP
Quote Reply
Re: tubular/clincher IM combo:logistic nightmare? [Keith Pillers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I think this violates the KISS principle. Too many other things to worry about on IM day.
Quote Reply
Re: tubular/clincher IM combo:logistic nightmare? [Keith Pillers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call it a nightmare, just a problem. You will be carrying a little more weight around than you need, but nothing you can't live with. It is not my idea of fun though. Spares are enough of a pain to carry. There is just no good place to put them.
Quote Reply
Re: tubular/clincher IM combo:logistic nightmare? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you TriBriGuy, K.I.S.S. Figure out what you need and leave 1/3rd of it behind. Think about this- maybe you paid a lot of money for a nice light bike, then you are going to hang a yard-sale under the saddle. Your bike will look like Fred Sanford's pick-up. Any way you can go 100% tubulars? Is it bunnyman who says tubulars rule? Me too...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about using a Tufo tubular clincher on the front and carrying the tufo sealant instead of spares?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds crazy, but believe it or not you can use a tubular tire on a clincher wheel. I read it in a magazine a long time ago, and had the opportunity to try it once when the guy I was with didn't have a spare tube. I was blown away at how well it worked. I'd be careful about hard cornering, but otherwise it worked great. When you think about it, a clincher rim is the same diameter as a tubular with an even deeper recess for the tire. Works great and is much faster to change in a hurry.

I'm not suggesting you do the whole race with that setup, just in case you get a flat.
Last edited by: 2WheelsGood: Mar 6, 03 15:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is much of a problem. I usually bring along 2 spare tires (tubular) when I race an ironman just to make sure that I won't be stuck on the side of the road if I get two flats. Carrying one tubular and a spare tube is lighter than that and shouldn't be a big deal. You're better off being prepared and carrying a little extra weight (a couple of hundred grams is not much weight unless you are a fanatic who goes for ti-cogsets etc. to shave every possible gram off your bike) than being held up for 1/2 an hour waiting for the official support van to show up and rescue you. I used a race wheel with tubular and clincher training wheel for two seasons until I could afford another race wheel and carried both spares in every race. My $0.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keith,

I have a tubular Cosmic alum. I will sell you really cheap. I would just run one type of wheel. Also, you will be happy with how well this bike rides when you get a real pair of race wheels on both ends.

I concur with Demmerly- you don't want to look like Fred Sanford hauling a bunch of junk on the caboose.

BTW- the Cosmic I will sell you will weigh about the same as your tri spoke and it will be quite indestructible. Let me know.

Also- glad to hear the frame is okay. I hate to hear about expensive bloopers on a bike frame.
Quote Reply
Re: tubular/clincher IM combo:logistic nightmare? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Thanks for the input. I'll probably just do one spare per wheel and hope for the best. Haven't flatted both wheels in a loooong time. Would hate for it to happen race day, but that's a small risk in the grand scheme.

Bunnyman thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass. I'll put the word out for ya here in my area though. -KP
Quote Reply