Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roller Trainers
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I was thinking of making my own set of roller trainers, and save a ton, but not having a set to measure, I was wondering if any of you who own a set could let me know what the rail dimensions are (length, width and height) and how wide the rollers are :)

That would be super cool.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Roller Trainers [EvilBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believes Cycleops has some information on their site. I'd be careful though. Roller are tricky enough to ride on. I'd hate for one leg (like a restaurant table) to be short always pulling you in one direction. I just bought a pair for $100 new and would be suprised if you could build them for yourself any cheaper. Post pictures when the project is complete if you do decide to go ahead with your idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Roller Trainers [jng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks for the link... Being a Mechanical Engineer, I have access to autoCAR and a machine shop, so I'm not too woried about the accuracy of rails...

So where did you find a pair of rollers for $100, I would like to make some but you are right, I can't beat that price :)

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Performance or Nashbar have basic rollers for around $100.

I have the Performance ones and they work just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers are a very good way to train. I would suggest that you add a fan resistance unit too.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the measurements from my rollers if you want them. They are Performance rollers that cost about $150. By the way, since I started using them (Christmas present) my riding and handling skills have really improved. My goal was to be able to ride a straight line. They make you do that or you fall off. Haven't gotten to the point where my power output has improved, but now that it's a little warmer in the mornings I'm going back to the hills. Let me know if you want the measurements.
Quote Reply
Re: Roller Trainers [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can see my roller setup at my website,

(http://www.angelfire.com/...er/index.html) under "Winter Training".

My standard workout is;

10 min warmup

2.5 min medium, 2.5 min hard, 5 min recovery,

2.5 min medium, 2.5 min hard, 5 cool down.

thats 60 min. in total

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Cobras that, coincidentally, I'm selling on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/...9&category=36141

(nice plug, huh?). Anyway, the rails are 51" long. I don't know rail width and height off the top of my head but I'm guessing .75" wide and 2" tall. Overall width of the rollers is 13.5"

I'm not just saying this because I want you to buy mine but I have to agree with others who said you aren't going to save any money building your own. If you are a good enough machinist to make them right, (which I'm sure you are) you could earn enough to buy them in about a quarter the time it would take you to build them. It would definitely be a cool project though...

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply