Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

carnac elipse or poggios?
Quote | Reply
I found a deal on both of these shoes (that fit) Has anyone had experiences with either of these shoes, comfort, durability, etc. etc. Any info would be helpful in making a decision... kinda hard getting an idea about shoes while stnding around in them
Quote Reply
Re: carnac elipse or poggios? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the Carnacs, but I've been riding in Nike Poggios for over a year now exclusively and love them. They're assembled in Italy. The carbon sole is from Trek, and the upper is synthetic leather so it doesn't stretch much at all (a good thing in my opinion), and rumoured to be produced by DMT, who also makes Time's uppers. If they fit you well I highly recommend them, over Sidi's in my experience. They are one of the lightest shoes around, and super stiff. The seams are such that you can comfortably ride in them barefoot all season if you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi taku, nice to hear from you. I'll tell you guys, I am going through heck right now trying to find some decent road shoes to replace my worn out, four year old Sidis. Tri shoes are no problem: I love Sidi T-1s. The issue is, this year I am switching pedal systems (from old school Time equipe to Speedplay Zero)and the shoe I use has to first, fit perfectly, second, be Speedplay "friendly". Sidi fits the bill so I bought some Ergo carbon sole (size 41 and 41.5)and some Genius 4 mesh upper, also size 41 and 41.5. I also bought some DMT Ultimax carbon sole. A big issue in shoe selection for me is the "rocker" of the sole. The DMT and the Nike are too "flat" for me. Sidi has a better "rocker" or sole curvature. I will say this, changing pedals and shoes is a huge hassle. I had to buy four sets of pedals.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: carnac elipse or poggios? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom... any progress with getting in on the serotta fit school... Paul is a great guy, i'm sure you would be able to learn a bunch from him and he from you... keep us posted on how that goes.

On a different front have you seen the M2 racer pedal or know of anyone that has... supergo is selling them and they fall into teh same general category as the speedplays (small and light)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No luck yet on the Serotta school. My fingers are crossed. I saw the M2s over at Slowman's house on Xantusia. Hmmm, slightly suspect. I would have to try those first....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
killer poggios [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definetely love my Poggios. They are light, super stiff, and have an exceptional upper. Riding barefoot is no problem. The only issue is getting in and out. These are definetly not a tri shoe in that fast transitions aren't really this shoe's strong point. I threw in a Superfeet grey capsule insole and they are even better now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Carnac Ellipse for two years now as my everyday training shoe on the bike and have been extremely happy with them. The fit has been superb and wear on them minimal. If they fit your foot right, these are one of the best shoes available IMHO.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got about a year in a pair of Poggios. After 15 years and a dozen brands of shoe (including eclipse), I've found my match. Fabulous fit, feel and quality. Light as a feather and stiff (in the sole) as all get-out. I've never felt better in bike shoes. You'll love them.
Quote Reply
Re: carnac elipse or poggios? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, its a wakeup call that I'm getting old when you are referring to Time Equipes as "old school"! Seems like yesterday to me that Lemond, et. al. made them THE big thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having owned both of these shoes, I think that either is a great shoe. BUT they are different in the sole curvature, with the Carnacs' being more pronounced. For me, they (the Carnacs) were the more comfortable shoe, especially due to the generous toebox. However, I love my Poggios. They are light, stiff, and work extremely well with my Speedplay Zeros. The upper stays new looking through the worst weather-laden riding with just a quick rinse under a faucet. No worries about stretching the uppper because it's synthetic. They also breathe better than the Carnacs. I've seen pictures of single strap multisport-type Nikes on some pros in the last few months. I'd buy a pair in a heartbeat if they were built on the Poggio/Hautacam sole and last. Does anyone know if these shoes are real or just good re-logo jobs to satisfy sponsors? Otherwise, I'll ride my TRS-7s for tris. Oh so comfortable.
Quote Reply