Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new bike frame choices/sizes
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a vintage QR Superform USA, steel, Roadkill paint scheme 55 cm frame since 1990 and absolutely love the position at all triathlon distances. Due to rust accumulation, paint deterioration, wear and tear at all attachment sites of components/wheels etc. I have determined that it would be best/safest to get a new frame.

What prompted me to ask about this was the following:

Thinking that I could adapt in 4-5 months to a more traditional road geometry frame, I tried changing to a more relaxed seat tube on a road geometry with seat slid forward 700c Cannondale R1000 aero. (I had little $ at the time and got a great deal on this bike brand new, so I decided to experiment. I didn't think there would be that much difference after getting used to it) When I finally raced on it, I found that I had lost all sorts of power/speed on hills and flats, even after consistently training on it in the same manner that I had on the QR. Also the bike felt unstable with descending. So I sold that and went back to my old QR (Dan E. and QR did it right, imagine that.) I now realize that I should not change to a frame with a relaxed seat angle. I don't want to make another mistake like that as it relates to wheel size, handling characteristics and ride quality. And would prefer to stick with maintaining my position as closely as possible.

My question is: which are the newer frames which closely resemble the geometry/frame materials of my old bike enough to keep the ride characteristics: awesome descending, very stable cornering, smooth long distance riding while having geometry close enough to maintain the position that I have on the QR. Preferrable price range would be under $2500.00.

“It’s good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” - Ernest Hemingway
Quote Reply
Re: new bike frame choices/sizes [robcoltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would definitely look at a Yaqui. ( http://www.yaquiusa.com/ ) I believe the owner, Ves Manderic, was THE framebuilder for the QR you bought. Either way, he'll make you a custom frame with the geometry you want. You can get a Mariola with the Comp kit (Ultegra / Syntace) for under $2500. That's one sweet ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob you may want to consider staying with a steel tri bike. since you know what a nice steel bike can ride like ( unlike many riders coming to the sport in recent years ) it is possible you find a bike to match the position of your current sled but note that the ride is not to your liking at all. guys like to say the material doesn't influence ride these days, but that is hooey IMHO. anyway - waterford or brew both make hella cool tri bikes ( check out the s3 true temper steel w-ford like linquist rides !!), as does strong, and a zillion others. any of these guys could duplicate your old trusty QR' fit and keep or even accentuate the ride quality you like. could be ves would make you one too but maybe not - dunno. of course, it could be you end up liking a wicked stiff and light super quick aluminum frame's qualities BETTER than the old steel sled - never know. just thought i would bring the issue up - many don't even know it exists anymore, sniff sniff :(
Quote Reply
Re: new bike frame choices/sizes [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting about your steel bike comment. I always seem to compare every bike I ride to my old favorite, a steel Columbus SLX road bike. It wasn't stiff, but I loved the ride. I even got to where I could ride it on hillclimbs faster than my Cannondale-can't-budge-the-bottom-bracket bike. I don't know if it was because I was more comfortable on the whippier steel bike, or what, but I sure loved it.

I have a bike on order from Mr. Mandaric...should be here in a couple of weeks. He is very certain about what he recommended for me geometrically as well as components. I'm really looking forward to riding the finished product. By the way, I'm pretty sure he can make a straight steel bike for you if that's what you want. It's worth asking him.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: new bike frame choices/sizes [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Ves does steel too under the Manderic badge. Anyway, it may be worth giving him a call to get his opinion. And FWIW, I love steel too. I've got three bikes, two steel, one Al. That reminds me of my favorite comment I received once while riding one of my steel bikes recently. I was passing two women when one let out "Ooooh, nice steel." Still makes me chuckle.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike frame choices/sizes [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I love steel too"

Me too. I'll never get rid of my old Miele, although maybe someday I'll break down and get a new Cervelo Prodigy. Just can't beat the ride of steel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too agree with the pro-steel posts. If you have budget limitations, there are cheaper alternatives than the fine bikes that Ves makes (and I'm sure he could do steel for you). You might also want to contact Doug Curtis at Curtlo, Carl at Strongframes or TET Cycles. At the most, you would be looking at $1100 for a frame and about $700 at the least, and I'm sure all of them could duplicate the exact geometry of your classic QRoo.

FWIW, I was so excited when I first heard that the Zero Gravity was coming back. In my foolish excitement, I assumed it would be one of the newer steels. Shucks (are you listening QRoo/Litespeed/Merlin?!?!?!).

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: new bike frame choices/sizes [Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
excellent point, scott. i have a curtlo and indeed mr curtis will build anything you like - all curtlo's all fully custom and he would be happy to fillet braze a new QR replica of ox platinum, powdercoat it and ship it out the door for less than 7 bills - a deal that can't be beat. waterford will do a custom gunnar geometry bike for around 1K - again top build quality and materials with a notch less arty finish for way cheap. bikes like these are fabulous deals - mostly unknown in tri circles it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call Ves and see what he could do for you. He could probably duplicate it right down to the paint job if you wish. He built those bikes, and he would probably know every angle, the proper BB drop, all of those nuances that some would get the measurements correct and that's about it.

The other option would be to send your frame out to a reputable custom builder so that they could duplicate everything that you have on that old Superform.

Remember, it's more than seat and head tube angles, top and seat tube lengths, etc. The chain stay length has to be correct, the correct fork rake has to be there, everything has to be spot-on to duplicate the very bike that you have. I think my first option would be to see if Ves could duplicate that bike, to start.
Quote Reply