Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [waterdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play too.

I'm educated as an attorney, have worked primarily in management consulting but have also done marketing and business development work.

Two years ago, I became tired of the fact that the only part of my workday I liked was riding my bike there and back and stopped working. Since then, I've been working part time as a bike mechanic, studying philosophy, and training. However, I've decided that I'm ready to go back to the real world but want to do something that I'm going to really care about.

I'm geographically limited to the Washington DC area and am hoping to find something perhaps with a non-profit or association. I have skills in project management, communication, analysis, strategic, operational and financial planning, and marketing. I'm open to any suggestions but have been thinking that perhaps development or program management might be a good fit.

Thanks to any and all for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [philotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in too. I had actually posted this in my own thread, but will put it up here as well. I think this is a great idea.

I am 24, currently live and work in Washington DC as an economist for the federal government. Graduated college in 2005 near the top of my class with a dual degree in Political Science and Economics. I originally thought about grad school or law school, but not being 100% set on either one of those, I decided to take a job with the government. I have been at my current job for about 2.5 years and am looking for a change. I would like to leave DC and get back to CT where my friends and family are.

As a graduate of a liberal arts college, I have the "jack of all trades, master of none" thing going on. It's not like I have a marketing degree and can go right into marketing. I do however feel like I have a very well-rounded education, I enjoy learning new things and pick up on stuff quickly. Politics, government, economic issues, policy and the environment are all areas of interest for me. However, triathlon and sports are also a passion in my life and if the opportunity arose I would certainly consider changing fields if I could work in the fitness/health/nutrition area, or really, any field for that matter, I am trying to be as open-minded as possible about this process.

I don't have much accounting/finance background, most of my econ education was in macro-level, policy-type stuff. I would not rule out working for the government again in the right setting. As I said, I sort of have 2 different paths in front of me, continue on with the gov't econ stuff or try to somehow find a career in sports/health/nutrition.

I tend to pick new things up quickly and enjoy working hard and with others who share a passion for work. So what's up there in the Constitutions State for me?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to play too! I am in the Las Vegas area and would love to see this thread grow into a forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [jeannedaire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play, Master of Public Health (with 5 years of hands on health care experience) student looking for an internship in epidemiology/international health/emerging infectious disease. I would even like to learn about what types of qualifications/credentials that I will need to gain employment in those areas. Any suggestions????

-------------------------------
Tigers love pepper, they hate cinnamon.

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [TTBooooda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am officially available to move to the Seattle/Tacoma area and can start as soon as January 1st.

10+ years of Systems Administrator experience. Would like to continue with that or get into IT Management.

Resume here.

---Politics = Poli (many) Ticks (blood sucking ectoparasites)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i missed this thread before, but also want to add that i think it's a great idea. recently we advertised a great new job at our university: developing a brand-new fitness/recreation center (including 50m pool) for students at a small university. perhaps a little too late: unfortunately, the app. deadline has now passed. would have been nice to have been able to put a plug in for it on ST to attract good applicants. we will, however, have an aquatics coordinator/pool manager position coming up soon, so i'll post info. about it here if a job forum ever comes to fruition.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [woleai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is the school?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the Big Island.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FANTAAAAASTIC IDEA!!! Both my girlfriend and I are potentially considering career changes. Open to suggestions in the Tampa/St. Pete area and would make a change for the right opportunity. Let's get that forum underway!!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [SemperTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted earlier in this thread that I had an opening for a fork truck mechanic. I have another opening, but I'd be surprised if someone from ST applies. A fork truck mechanic is more likely to ride a motorcycle than a bicycle, and is also likely to be a smoker. But if you're the exception, get in touch with me.

I also have an opening now for a stationary engineer. If you have a background in high pressure steam and industrial refrigeration, and would like to work in northern Colorado (lots of geat tri activity here!) then PM me.

But here's a question we should discuss: why should I hire a triathlete? If I had two applicants, one from one of the job boards and one from ST, why should I select the triathlete? Pros: goal oriented, dedicated, self-disciplined, intelligent. Cons: abrasive, self centered, spends too much time on the computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Job Forum?? [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But here's a question we should discuss: why should I hire a triathlete? If I had two applicants, one from one of the job boards and one from ST, why should I select the triathlete? Pros: goal oriented, dedicated, self-disciplined, intelligent. Cons: abrasive, self centered, spends too much time on the computer.
-------------------------
Well, if you can't answer that yourself, than maybe you shouldn't hire a triathlete. How about efficient time management? How about, not all of us post 35 times a day on slowtwitch? How about, healthy and energetic? Abrasive? Come on you need to spend less time on the internet and more time riding and hanging out with triathletes if you think we are abrasive. Self-centered? How about, embracing challenge and goal seeking?

Dude judge a triathlete by the people that spend all day on ST.

Oh, i also think a ST job forum would be an awesome idea.

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, too.

8+ years of sports marketing experience, primarily in athlete promotion but also includes event management, product development (running apparel and footwear), public relations/copywriting, and brand marketing. Currently in Colorado and would prefer to stay here but would consider a move if the location fits our lifestyle. PM or email me for a complete resume.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Nov 18, 07 14:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next