Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Overdue: My first 2 races back.....
Quote | Reply
April 15th, 2006 approximately 7:00 am. The last thing my wife says to me as I'm rolling out of the garage to go for a ride is "Do you have your cell phone?" I patted my right rear jersey pocket, smiled at her, and said "yup." A few other pleasurable exchanges occur and I'm off to meet the group ride which is roughly 20-25" biking distance from my house.

Approximately 15" later I'm trucking along on my aerobars thinking what a beautiful morning it is and look down at my cyclocomputer to calculate my arrival to the group ride and all of a sudden this horrible impact to the rear of my bike and I am launched like a fighter jet off of an aircraft carrier. "Hit and run" as most of you remember.

April 21st, 2006 I am fortunate to be transferred to Tampa General Hospital under the care of one of the WORLD'S most recognized orthopedic trauma surgeons, Dr. Thomas DiPasquale. He is well recognized for acetabular (hip socket) repairs. April 23rd, two and a half hours of meticulous surgery and a boatload of morphine sulfate in the recovery room and I have survived. Let the rehab. begin!

After local orthopods told me I'd never run again, Dr. DiPasquale gives me a "NEW" lease on life and tells me it's going to be a long recovery but he thinks I stand a good chance of running again but it's "not an easy recovery and it's gonna take a good year to a year and a half."

April 26th, I've had enough of Tampa General. I arrive home (1 1/2 hours south of Tampa) and discover how stinking hot it is especially on crutches. I'm told at least 3 months of NO weight bearing on my left leg.

Fast forward July 24th, 2006. Second post-op visit with Dr. DiPasquale. He tells me everything looks good now let me see you walk. I could barely put weight on my left leg and almost fell over trying to walk. My leg atrophied so bad despite doing all the isometrics and quad sets. I did cheat and started riding an exercise bike 3 weeks before he gave me the green light to begin rehab.

Mid August I threw away the crutches and the cane and just hobbled everywhere. I had three organized sessions of physical therapy per week and 7 days a week on my own. My it was painful but nothing like what I felt when I was hit and during the first few weeks after surgery.

November was a landmark month as I was finally cleared to run even though I was still limping around. I took it though and began running 5 minutes at a time and slowly and I mean slowly increased the time. My wife and kids went back to Panama City Beach to watch IMFL and I decided then that I definitely wanted to come back to Panama City to do IMFL again. We decided 2007 was too soon but set my sights on 2008.

April 29, 2007 I got into decent enough shape to do St. Anthony's Olympic Distance tri. I would have posted a race report sooner but I was very saddened by the loss of the Team in Training Triathlete and just didn't feel like I should be excited about competing again. Briefly, I didn't know how my body was going to respond to the stress of racing being that I hadn't competed since 2005. I felt a little rusty out there but managed to PR my previous best time there by 4 minutes. I struggled a bit on the bike and had tight hamstrings during the early part of the bike leg and only ended up with a 21 mph average. I forgot my gel on the bike and didn't drink as much as I should have which resulted in a struggle on the run. It heated up quickly on the run and my vastus medialis just balled up in knots which made for a painful, slow run. Everytime my foot struck on both sides resulted in my v.medialis cramping up. By all means I was on target to PR by 11 minutes but it just didn't work out that way. At the end of the day, I was quite happy and satisfied with the fact that I had returned to racing and had overcome some big hurdles to get there.

Two weeks later I did my 2nd race of the season, another Olympic Distance event. I had a better bike leg but had the same problems on the run with my vastus medialis balling up. I never have this problem in training doing bricks so I am not sure how to remedy it. Maybe it's a bike position thing. I don't know. I do know that I am happy to be alive and happy to be able to compete in this crazy sport again. I still have a long ways to go in my recovery but I feel good about where I am right now. I decided to do a 1/2 IM at the end of the season and still plan on signing up for IMFL 2008. I'm gonna take a couple weeks off and recover now as it's been a long haul to get here. I plan on just training for the next 3 months and then hitting a couple of sprints, another olympic, and then the 1/2 IM in November.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Long Overdue: My first 2 races back..... [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR, thanks for the post. I'm just a lurker but I rember your story, and am glad to see you back, and it seems relatively quickly. Keep it up.
And thanks for the motivation, I tore a ligament in my ankle months ago. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel right now, and am pretty depressed about the whole thing. I only pray that I can come back half as strong as you have from a much worse incident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very glad to see you are back. Congratulations.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is terriffic. Congratulations.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
You're an inspiration Rob. Tremendous job!!

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome story QR! You should really apply for the Kona lottery next year! That's the kind of story that gets people in!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that having to come back from a major injury makes you much stronger mentally, and this sport is mental more than anything. You are going to be unstoppable and in the long run be even better.

Mike
Last edited by: mtodd615: May 23, 07 6:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QR,

Awesome report! I'm glad to hear how well your first races back went.

May the leg cramps resolve and the PR's keep coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah brother, way to go. Living well is the best revenge!!

I know where you're coming from. I came back from a near fatal motorcycle accident which is just weeks away from being 40 years ago. You've come back faster than I did. The good news is that although there will be things to remind you that your body has changed, triathlon training can help you not only lead a normal life after what happened, but to live better than guys who didn't almost die. The body is an amazing thing. Stay in shape and keep racing. It's still pretty competitive in 55-59, but I've heard that once you get to 65-69 wins are easy to come by...

Of course that's what they told me about 55-59 ten years ago!!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QR,

Thanks for the RR. Congratulations on your continuing recovery. I forwarded your post to my best friend, who was hit while riding back in March, I think this will help him continue to work towards his own recovery, both physically and mentally. Once again good luck to you.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job. I was hit July (not nearly as bad as you, broken ribs and wrist) last year and distinctly remember thinking what a beautiful day it was within the minute prior to getting hit. It is frightening how near we always are to disaster whenever we are on a bike...

I have my first tri coming up in a few weeks (was also the last tri I did before getting hit) and am pretty psyched. Being out of commission made me realize how fortunate I am just to be able to train. Good luck and steady progress!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some thirteen years on and yours is still one of the only accounts of recovery from an acetabular fracture. I was told it was a rare fracture and I guess this proves it. I crashed backcountry skiing on January 25 and along with the acetabulum I have a tibial plateau fracture. Nordic skiing is our winter training of choice for indoor weary triathletes in Canada. I'm not sure if my story/recovery would be of interest to others but I have sure have appreciated your posts. If possible, I'd like to know how you are doing 10+ years on. Did you require a THR? Has your racing continued to be successful?
Quote Reply