Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Multi Vitamin - What do you use?
Quote | Reply
Suggestions for a good (yet inexpensive) multi-vitamin? Please don't say Flintstones.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [jackbauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cheapest pill wins... They're all the same... Why pay more?

And take 3 or 4 at a time... every frickin' day... just for insurance... and you know, cuz more is MORE!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try the lower end version of the DCMF (AHF) and use Recovox with it. www.masterformula.com for the DCMF and use this link for the pro deal on Recovox.

http://www.recovox.net/promo.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will say Flintstones Complete, sorry. You might find this story interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, the study was done on the cheapest vits out there! Sam's Club? you get what you pay for......
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [Slater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you read it wrong....it ranked one of the highest, as did Flintstones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Complete Multi from Liquid Health. Since I switched to liquid vitamins, I have a lot more energy all day long.
There are certainly more ingredients than just vitamins, i.e. aminos, green plant foods, etc. so you can't compare to
an inexpensive Wal-Mart branded vitamin, or a Flinstones vitamin, etc. but I would never go back to a pill based multi after
the great results I have experienced since I made the switch to liquid.

Quote | Reply
Hello Jack Bauer and All,

I take Body Wise Vitamins and Minerals which are not cheap but do not give me headaches like so many others I have tried.

(Maybe they are a placebo and a waste of money.)

Cheers,

Neal

================================================================
Report questions value of some vitamins An analysis of 68 studies indicates that antioxidant supplements may do more harm than good.
By Thomas H. Maugh II
Times Staff Writer

8:42 AM PST, February 28, 2007

Adding to a growing scientific consensus, a large Danish study released Tuesday found that vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements provided no health benefits and might even produce a small increase in the incidence of death.

The report in the Journal of the American Medical Assn. was immediately criticized by vitamin makers and some researchers, but its findings are similar to other studies suggesting that supplements are not as quick and easy a way to improve health as their promoters claim.

Supplements "have great biological plausibility, and we all wish that they would work," but they do not, said Dr. Edgar R. Miller of Johns Hopkins University, who was not involved in the new study.

"We need to concentrate on lifestyle modifications — stop smoking and lose weight — and not be deceived into thinking that taking a supplement will lower the risk of mortality," he said.

Dr. Goran Bjelakovic of Copenhagen University Hospital and his colleagues performed what is known as a meta-analysis, combining the results from 68 previously published clinical trials involving nearly a quarter of a million patients.

Using all of the studies, they concluded that the supplements, which varied in dosages, were not associated with either an increased or decreased incidence of mortality. But when they used only the 47 trials that they considered the best-conducted, they found a 4% increase in incidence of death with vitamin E, a 16% increase with vitamin A and a 7% increase with beta carotene.

Vitamin C showed no benefit or risk in either analysis, while selenium showed a trend toward increased risk, they said. Their study was funded by the authors' institutions.

Though the percentages of increased incidence of death are low, an estimated 25% of the U.S. and European population are thought to take one or more of the supplements, so potentially large numbers of people would be at risk.

The most common objection to the report regarded the authors' selection of what they considered the best-conducted studies.

It was only after they did this, "using their own criteria, that they observed a statistically significant effect on mortality," said Andrew Shao, vice president of scientific and regulatory affairs for the Council for Responsible Nutrition, a trade association of supplement makers.

"This meta-analysis appears to be a predetermined conclusion in search of a method to support it," he said.

Miller, however, said that "there are good clinical trials and bad ones…. That's a fine way to do it."

Biochemist Balz Frei, director of the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University, noted that all of the original studies used the supplements to try to produce an improvement in patients who already had a disease.

"That may work with a drug, but it is never going to work with a dietary supplement," he said. "You can't undo the damage of decades by giving a dietary supplement for a couple of years."

But Miller noted that the results from the Danish study were virtually identical to those from the Women's Health Study, which involved nearly 40,000 healthy women, showing that the supplements don't work even with subjects who do not have a disease.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone should be eating balanced diet to live healthy life. But everyone could not do it as they have very busy schedule. That is where Multivitamins comes in action. There are lots of Multivitamins available in the market. Today I will let you know about the amazing Multivitamins that I have been using for last 6 months and I got very positive.
You may buy Multivitamin from this shop

https://sportsinside.co.uk/...minerals-90-capsules
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [RichardPage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardPage wrote:
Everyone should be eating balanced diet to live healthy life. But everyone could not do it as they have very busy schedule. That is where Multivitamins comes in action.

I think that is the, "biological plausibility" referred to above. It seems like a good idea to supplement what is missing in our diets, but nobody can come up with any reliable evidence that it does any good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardPage wrote:
Everyone should be eating balanced diet to live healthy life. But everyone could not do it as they have very busy schedule. That is where Multivitamins comes in action. There are lots of Multivitamins available in the market. Today I will let you know about the amazing Multivitamins that I have been using for last 6 months and I got very positive.

You revived two or three threads that are like 10 years old, to promote some vitamins you are selling? Nice.

I'd rather light my money on fire than take useless vitamins that I'll piss out.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

You revived two or three threads that are like 10 years old, to promote some vitamins you are selling? Nice.

Doh, how did I miss that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardPage wrote:

Are you also selling ear plugs??
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather light my money on fire than take useless vitamins that I'll piss out.

SBRCanuck for the win!

My wife and I eat an all around healthy diet - mostly plant based, but we do eat meat 3 - 4 times a week, usually at dinner.

In the late fall thru winter and in early spring, because of where we live we take Vitamin D - Not enough exposure to direct sunlight during those times of the year.

That's it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Endurance Multi-V HP, only $80/month. *pink*
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Dec 16, 19 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh meat and vegetables
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Animal Pack. It is fairly inexpensive.

Cannondale Slice 08
look keo pedals
fizik k3 arione saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Carlson's fish oil, two a day
Vitamin D3 from Biotech
Now Curcumin
Wonderlabs B-12 sublingual

This is my daily regiment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take a product called *normal food* which contains vitamins A, C, D, E, K, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, biotin, folate and cobalamin. *Normal food* is available at several outlets, and is very affordable. Often my main problem is taking too much of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm male, but I use Alive! Women's Health multivitamins. I have trouble getting enough iron in my diet, and these get me into the ballpark. [If you have the same issue, Alive!'s Older Women's and Men's vitamins won't help. Only their formula for younger women has iron.]
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello FlashBazbo and All,

I take a couple of Fish Oil and Flax Oil capsules .... and spit out the empty capsule .... primarily for anti coauglant properties ...

and one 'Alive' .... 'just in case insurance' ... I might follow your lead and change to the 'Alive' with some iron althouugh I eat beef at least once a week ..... and blood tests look good.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe in multi vitamin supplements.
Just eat balanced and healthy and get your blood tested a few times a year to see which deficiencies you have.

I take vitamin D3 (vista-D3 800) all year round because it's always too low otherwise. Omega 3 (fish oil) in hard training blocks or winter time. And iron when training on altitude if the value was low beforehand. That's it. Quality nutrition is everything imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi Vitamin - What do you use? [SDBEL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1, roughly the same for me. Never took iron though.

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply