Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in LA
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I'm looking for a little help here. I'm headed to LA (Huntington Beach) for work next week and will be spending the following weekend (Mar 1, 2, 3) in LA.

Any suggestions for great bike routes in the area? I'll have a rental to get anywhere within a couple hour drive.

I had a 6:00 IM ride at IMLP last year and am totally sick and tired of my trainer here in snowbound Toronto (although it did get above zero today - break out the shorts and beach wear!) I'm looking for 3-5 hour rides (not ready for an outdoor century yet!) and would love some company if they don't push too hard. I'd love to start to get some long, slow, OUTDOOR distance in while enjoying the sun.

Thanks,

Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in LA [Aaron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Santa Monica Mountains have great riding, Latigo cyn from the coast to Kanan rd to muholland north to ventura county and back down hwy 1 or take mullholland south up stunt down rambla pacifica and north on 1 are two great loops

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've got a HUGE tri club down there. If you want to ride w/ a group, check: www.latriclub.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also check out www.cruciblefitness.com or email Rich Strauss directly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you're in Huntington Beach, there's the Santa Ana River trail, which starts about three miles south/west of the Huntington Beach Pier. It's 20 miles + of trail with no stoplights.

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday morning ride starts at Manhattan Beach Pier at 7:15am, we ride north on PCH then ride up and down parts of the Santa Monica mountains. As previosuly mentioned check www.latriclub.com for details.

mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, Huntington Beach isn't LA ;-) Just want to make sure you realize that you're about an hour away from the rides in the Santa Monica mountains mentioned by others. Since you'll be right on the beach, just go south on Pacific Coast Highway. Once you get past Newport Beach and Corona Del Mar there's a lot of wide open highway suitable for biking for many miles. You can basically ride as far as you want and then turn around and go back the way you came. Very scenic ride along the ocean. If you want a less scenic, IMHO, but stop light-free ride take the Santa Ana River Trail as Mr. Ed mentioned. It's actually a paved bike path along a man-made river.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in LA [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the feedback.

Looking forward to some sun next week! If you see a guy on a bike with blindingly white, sunstarved legs riding down the PCH, that's me!

Cheers,

Aaron
Quote Reply
PCH from Huntington and beyond - [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aaron -

Every weekend I do a loop from Long Beach (north of Huntington) and south to Laguna, head inland and ride through Santiago Canyon - good hills that are similar to IMLP, assuming you are training for that, as am I. It's probably a 3.5 hour loop from Main Street in Huntington (lots of stoplights) - Drop me an E-mail if you want to hook up for a ride next weekend.

Lane
josh@attorney-network.com
Quote Reply