Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire sizing
Quote | Reply
I need some recommendations on tire sizing. I'm looking for some race rubber that I will use for some light training but will otherwise reserve for race day only. I have some (700x23)training rubber now. I weigh in at about 220 lbs. , but I intend to trim that down by 15-20 lbs. by the time I hit the road. The roads I train on are pretty crappy but the roads I will race on are excellent and I expect dry roads on race days. I'm looking at buying some 700x20's that take up to 160lbs. - are these a good choice for a guy my size? Could I go for 19's or should I stick with 23's.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sizing [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised this post hasn't had more attention since this is a controversial topic. There have been some aerodynamic tests that suggest that 18mm and 19mm tires are "optimal". They are- in a wind tunnel. Problem is, we race in the real world of bad road surfaces, debris, glass, chuck holes, etc.Long story short: I use 19mm tubulars on courses I know are good and 22mm tubulars on other races. I always race on tubulars. I train on 23mm clinchers. I like Michelins.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sizing [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm not going to add any controversy (I think), but I have a little different approach. While many people will focus on aerodynamics and rolling resistance, I figure that that stuff is negligible. To me the three most important things in a tire are puncture resistance, traction, and comfort. The width question really addresses comfort. So, assuming you have found a brand that you feel is tough and grippy (any you pump it up enough), the only thing left is to choose width. I train on 23s and was racing on 19s, but this year I'm moving to racing on 21s. I find a noticeable difference in the comfort of the 19s and 21s. I think comfort is King!

As for tire recommendations, I'm with Tom on the clinchers. Michelin Pro Races all the way. For tubulars, I was using Conti Podiums, but have recently tried Tufo S3 Lites based on recommendations here and I think I'm going to stick with them.

Brett, I forgot to add that I'm 200lbs. I thought I'd throw that in since you're a big guy. We just got to make sure that we have high pressure in our tires to aviod flatting. That's probably the biggest reason I like tubulars, you can fill those suckers up!
Last edited by: Pooks: Feb 20, 03 18:21
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sizing [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in agreement with Pooks on each of his points.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sizing [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to see some data regarding the aero effects on tire size. We see so much hoo haa about this wheel is more aero than the that wheel, that we tend to forget that the very first thing that is impacted by wind is the tire.

I personally ride 21 Conti. Podiums Tubulars for short course racing and 23 Michelin Race Pro (black/grey no guffy colors) for training and IM distance.
Quote Reply