Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is best overall pedal?
Quote | Reply
I have been using Speedplay Zero's and like them except that my foot seems to have movement from top to bottom or side to side. I mean the foot is stable moving laterally but my foot seems to have play inside to out at the connection point even though I have them set on no float and shoes tight. Anyone else have this problem? What pedal do you guys like?
Quote Reply
No such thing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like there is no 'best bike' there is no best pedal, it is personal choice on how much and what kind of float one likes. Also some people care about weight, others don't mind so much. My favorite is Look P396 but then again, I have only used look so what good is that opinion.

A
Quote Reply
Re: What is best overall pedal? [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I have the same problem with movement. More of a rocking movement, like a boat adrift. Got new shoes and cleats and no movement there so I think that the cleats were simply worn out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone else have this problem? What pedal do you guys like?

Matt,

I have the X1's. The first week I have them, I thought it was an expensive mistake b/c the feel of the float was so weird. Now, after 5, 6 or 7 years later I would have nothing else. I have full float on 2 road bikes and frogs on my mountain bike.

Sounds like your complaint is that there is still a little float. I don't know about the Zeros, but I'd say keep trying them until you get used to it. I think you'll like them. Of Course some don't - the ole why is there chocolate and vanilla argument.

Good Luck,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NJbiker makes a valid and correct point about there being no "one best pedal". Having said that my preference at this point is Speedplay Zero. You mentioned a "play" issue. I would double check that all your cleat installation is in strict compliance with Speedplay standards according to their website and instruction manual. The instructions are simple and easy to follow but do need to be followed to the letter. Once you do that also be sure your cleats are not worn out. That is key also. I mention those two things becasue I have sold a couple hundred Zeros and never encountered that problem. Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I agree that there is no single best pedal.

Having said that, I've used, clips and straps (remember double Binda's?), Look, Time, SPD and SPD-R. Overall, I think SPD-R are the best I've used. Very secure, light, stable, easy to get in and out of. What I really like is the fact that my cleats have about 15K miles on them, and still do not need to be replaced. I figured my initial cost to change from Look to SPD-R is now made up in all the cleats I didn't have to buy.

I noticed that Ritchey picked up the SPD-R torch this year. I certainly hope they have enough clout in the industry to keep shoe companies making SPD-R compatible shoes.
Quote Reply