Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So Cal rides....in Feb
Quote | Reply
Ok, the endless winter in the East is killing me, so I've booked a flight to LA for this weekend -- just me and my road bike! I've read Dan's So Cal centuries piece, but am thinking that some of those rides will be tres cold this time of year....and that's what I'm trying to avoid!

Can anyone recommend any good (where good includes warm) rides in the LA area? Coast? Deserts?

Also, has anyone riden around the Joshua Tree area, where I'll be visiting friends?

Thanks to all the Cal folks for any advice / info / websites.

--TF
Quote Reply
Re: So Cal rides....in Feb [Cantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless there is an actual storm happening during your ride, those routes of Dan's aren't really cold. Even up at the top (Angeles Crest Highway) you can expect a typical February day to be in the 50's. It's warmer down below, of course. I've ridden right past snowbanks and people trudging over to the ski lifts in 55 degree weather in February up there.

Actually, Joshua Tree is likely to be every bit as cold as the mountains this time of year. Beautiful riding, though.

You'll likely want to rule out coastal rides, since the coast is a good 3-4 hour drive from Joshua Tree.
Quote Reply