Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Malaysia
Quote | Reply
Anybody thinking about picks for Ironman Malaysia this coming weekend?

www.extremetri.com has a pretty good preview.

Luc van Lierde is heading there in pretty good shape -- he says about 85%, but for Luc, that beats just about anybody (provide 85 is a HEALTHY 85).

Bryan Rhoades is going for a three-peat. Anyone know why he excels in the heat of Malaysia but melts in Hawaii? Or why he can take Lothar Leder in Malaysia but can't win Canada? I guess he just has that race figured out.

Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just hope LVL finishes!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LVL is by far my favorite triathlete. I have made some cyber-friends in Belgium surfing the net looking for info on Luc.

He had a press conference on Friday, and stated that he hopes for top-3 at Malaysia, and that Hawaii and 2004 Olympics are his main focus. (I wish he would just focus on longer races; maybe that will change after next year.)

I agree, though, finishing is top priority, and top-3 or a win would be icing on the cake!

It was at the press conference where Luc said he was 85% fit. I think that's what he claimed when he won Hawaii in 1999. I have maintained for several years that Luc would be better off racing at 85 - 90% fit and he could still win everything, instead of aiming for 100% fit and winding up injured.

I guess that's not the nature of a great athlete, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it will be a great race! I'm hoping Rhodsey pulls the three-peat and LDL makes it to the start and finish lines.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe like in many asian races, the lead vehicle is in front of the leader, not behind...

there is no way BR would outride Lothar. In Brazil, he lost 10' in one lap.

reminds me of the comments of Ray Browning on how to win IM Japan: get out of the water first and sit as close as you can to the packed-with-photographers-truck used as leading vehicle...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Rhodes did lead out of the water last year in Malaysia when he went 8:10.

However, my "source" in Belgium says LVL has been working a lot on his swimming over the winter and that it is "perfect."

Now if the two of them come off the bike together...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Lothar doesnt necessarily do well at Malaysia because its his forst race of the year and he basically treats it as a trainig day so is far from his major focus for the year (where as it would be Bryan's major focus race)
Quote Reply