Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs
Quote | Reply
Over the last month, there has been a lot of finger pointing at the officials and athletes in these 2 races. Without a doubt, both of these races look like a USA Cycling sanctioned criterium, for the bike leg. I stood at Kawaihai watching the peletons roll by. I think the same thing happened in Florida this past weekend.

Both Kona and 70.3 share the same problem. The level of these athletes, whom had to qualify, are not very different. They are all the "best of the best." Given the flat courses along with similar abilities, where do these athletes go? Unless the bike ride starts off with a 20 mile climb, these riders are going to be bunched up, riding on top of each other. This is the case for everyone, not just pros or age groupers.

Hats of to Lieto, who actually rode off the front in Clearwater. Same goes to Normann in Kona.

The only solution is to start these races with a run or a substantial climb. Both of these would separate the abilities for the end of the bike ride.

It is inevitable that similar riders are not going to separate themselves in these crowded races. We need a solution, such as a Palomar climb at the beginning of these bike segments.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to have 10-20 mile 8-9% avg grade climb at the beginner of every bike leg. Makes finding a venue a little tricky though.....

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How feasible (or desirable) might it be to send everyone off in three second increments? They did this at Memphis in May (they may still do this) and they start shortened IM's this way, too (IMNZ, IMUtah).
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Makes finding a venue a little tricky though..... "

That's right. The obvious solutions to this problem, and finding more challenging courses is one of them, are very hard if not impossile to implement.

Here's another: Significantly reduce the field size. Makes sense. Drafting was not any where near the problem/issue many years ago when race field sizes were way smaller. Howwever, again this is NOT a viable solution in this day and age with strng growth in the sport and big race fields in many big and imporatant races.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how plausible the multiple wave start is for these races, but it seems like a decent solution. These races are too venue restricted to really separate the pack out in the beginning of the bike leg. Staggering the waves slow AG/fast AG might work as well.
Unfortunately this drafting situation and crowded venue makes these races less and less attractive to me to race in every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The drafting has nothing to do with the "level" of the athletes. Granted there were higher level athletes there to race but it was not difficult to get into this event. If you wanted to go to the banquet and had the money to go to Clearwater you were in. They couldn't get rid of 50% of the slots at some of the races. So competitor caliber doesn't hold water IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the TT style of start is really the way to go for the real purists. Personally, it's not an attractive way to race for me. I prefer the head-to-head competition.

Part of the problem is the whole philosophy behind the traditional triathlon racing format. It's mass start and head-to-head racing with no restrictions on the swim. Then on the bike, you are still racing head-to-head, but you have been somewhat seeded by your swim speed/fitness, but while you are racing head to head on the bike, somewhat like you would in a traditional bike race, you must do so under a hybrid version of the traditional ITT rules. Are you still with me? Then it's onto the run and again back to head-to-head racing with no restrictions. This set up worked well years ago when race fields were small, and there was big discrepencies in peoples swim/bike and run abilities. These rules were not made for very evenly matched 2000+ race fields with limited road space.

When viewed this way, it's easy to see why the ITU did what they did over 10 years ago and said , just race, head-to-head, with no restrictions for swim, bike and run and the first across the line wins! It's simple, straight-forward and easy to understand. I know that for AG racing this would be impractical mostly for safty reasons, but if the safty thing could be worked out, it is a possible solution. Flame away!

Fleck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe they should turn the EXTREME Norseman into the WC instead of Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, do you have data on this "safety" issue for AG drafting that is always thrown around?

I have dont he Golden State Tri by TBFracing and it has been draft legal for years. There has never been a drafting accident that I am aware of. So, there is a reason this keeps coming up, and its not safety. Its the bikers dont want to take their advantage away. Swimmers have already lost.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The safty Trojan horse is the one that's most commonly trotted out and seeing the bike handling skills of more than I few triathletes, I would have to agree that it IS an issue.

Taking away the cyclists advantage is of course another one, but that's the view of people that look at each sport in a triathlon in a silo. It's swim/bike/run in a continuum and the first across the line is the winnner.

If they wanted to really shake things up they would make the ratio of the swim longer for ALL triathlons. I agree with you that it's for all intents and purposes a throw away item now regardless of the distance. However again this is one of these possible solutions that will be a VERY tough sell to the masses. Many are not big fans of swimming and there would be mass outrage if you, say made the swim in what is now a 1/2 IM the same length as in a Full IM. However, that would shake up the drafting problem a bit AND make the ratio of distances more equitable. And I am someone who was never a fan of swimming and was not that great a swimmer!!

Fleck

Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 13, 06 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree nothing is going to change, why should it? The races so many bitch about all either sell out, or close to it. So, if I am a business owner, knowing my customers all all Type A's, I would ignore the few that complain, and continue my business model.

This is why all the races I basically do are small. Drafting with packs is never an issue. I guess by default I am voting with my money. I guess I also dont get all hung up in the "spirit" of the race. I am out there for exercise, social contact, competition, etc. The hardware is something that I can live without. I actually love the races that have no awards. My rewards are internal. I dont need something to try and impress others.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, the way to kill drafting is with demanding courses. We have no drafting at American Zofingen. The new, proposed, Devil's Kitchen duathlon starts with a 9.8 mile climb. If that doesn't do the trick, the 2 mile, 10% namesake for the race will do the trick. If I put on a triathlon, it will not have drafting because the course won't allow for it. In fact, I'm in talks with Niagara Falls to hold an uphill swim start.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [harm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES! that would truly be extreme!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is why all the races I basically do are small. Drafting with packs is never an issue. I guess by default I am voting with my money. I guess I also dont get all hung up in the "spirit" of the race. I am out there for exercise, social contact, competition, etc. The hardware is something that I can live without. I actually love the races that have no awards. My rewards are internal. I dont need something to try and impress others.
And where is it you're planning to be on June 24th next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that would give the same result as coming out of the water together.....
Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [je] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I said basically, not all. Yep, I signed up for the big one, just for Martin. :o) Still have no idea whether I will do it or not. But, it cost be 500 bucks to have the chance. Is drafting at IMCDA that bad?

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Drafting in Kona or 70.3 Champs [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no doubt that there is a much higher level of competition at theses races you have to qualify for. I was not in Clearwater, but have been to many KONAs. I hate to tell you, but he level is much higher at these events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Preach it PT!!! What is old is new again!!
Quote Reply