Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: another drafting rant [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, sig, we finally got some possible solutions to the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: another drafting rant [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was an approach that was brought up on this forum a while back that I really like. It's in use somewhere but I'm not sure where. It may be the aussies who use it. The basic idea is that there were penalty boxes or zones throughout the course. If someone was flagged by a marshal for a violation, they were told to report to the next zone to serve the penality. Their number was radioed to the zone and if they failed to report, they were DQ'd. This way the marshals could keep moving and marshaling and didn't have to sit with the offender while they served their penalty. Also in the zone, I believe they were not allowed to dismount their bike. Esentially the zone should not be made into a place where one can relax and recover. (No going to the bathroom, or sitting down.)

I also think it's necessary to make sure the stand down time is long enough to really be a penalty. As mentioned, 3-4 minutes in an IM can often be a benefit.

As eric pointed out, enforcing drafting is not as simple as a marshal whipping by and calling out drafters. They need to witness the act for a while. 15 seconds really. I think it is probably for this reason that you see blocking penalties handed out more often than drafting ones. So I think the key to resolving the issue is still having a high number of marshals on the course. To me, the number of marshals required should be determined more by the number of participants rather than the distance of the course. (Although distance plays a part too.) Just knowing marshals are around really helps the situation.

In my experience, Marshals are usually pretty cool about enforcement too. I've never seen one be a dick on those parts of the course that are prone to congestion like the first 5 miles out of T1 or at corners or turnarounds. I think that in these places, their behavior should be similar to a boxing referee giving simple warnings and encouragement. Calling out "keep it clean", and "watch your position" helps keep the racers aware of position penalties.

So my solution:

1) Effective time penalties

2) Penalty Zones

3) More available marshals (This is where we can help)

4) RDs staffing adequate numbers of Marshals for the course/number of participants

5) And, as always, education and sportsmanship.

My opinion is that as a sport, we are severly lacking in 1, 3, 4, and 5
Quote Reply
Re: another drafting rant [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I'm in Norhtern Cal [SJ] and any club or group that would like me to come in and give a USAT rules clinic just let me know and I'll be happy to give a demonstration. If you are in Southern Califiornia I can probably get some one based in that area to come speak.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply

Prev Next