Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheels-Is the upgrade worth it?
Quote | Reply
I've been researching wheelset upgrades for my Cannondale Multisport. I was told by a reputable source recently that unless you're an elite athlete consistently pushing 30 mph, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. I'm currently riding on Mavic cxp21's with CODA hubs.
From someone out there who has experienced an upgrade from something similar to my Mavic's to say, Spinergy Xaero's--Is it worth the $500-$700? Give me some details. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels-Is the upgrade worth it? [hazelett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 650 wheels like yours for training and bought Hed 3s for races. I believe they are worth it. Especially if your doing longer races(half to full IM). There are tons of research and info on aerodynamics so you can read up on it. So the short answer is Yes its worth it (if you got the cash).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would contend that switching to the xaeros would be slower than your current wheels. They would be more comfortable though . . . Basically, they are a small profile rim with big fat spokes.

If you got some of the proven aero wheels, it would help, however, the true question is would the improvement warrant the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels don't make you fast. You do. It's all about your engine. If you have $700 to drop into a upgrade. I'd buy a PowerTap. It's going to give you excellent feedback about your power output. Once you have that dialed in then go buy wheels.

--dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 99 Cannondale MS 2000 and 2 years ago I was looking to upgrade my wheels as well for a training/racing wheel combo. I consulted with John Cobb and with my budget and race schedule he suggested Rolf Vector Comps. I bought them and notice no difference. I know that's not the same as a disc or spinergy rev x, but that's my story.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels-Is the upgrade worth it? [Dan Socie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan is right, of course, it is the engine that is most important.

That being said, I ALWAYS am significantly faster (by significant, I mean about 2mph faster) on my H3's than on regular spoked wheels. Then again, I never ride the H3's except during a race. Maybe my training rides just aren't hard enough! This year, I have a disc rear, too. Oh, I ride in the lower 20's to 24.5 mph average speed, 22.5 in a 40K tt in a triathlon, so, I'm no elite rider going 30+ mph average.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels-Is the upgrade worth it? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgeting stats etc for a minute and going simply by good old fashioned feel - the only upgrade that I have been able to feel instantly is a wheel upgrade - from the Mavics you are on to Shimano Ultegra...I believe other than correct fit it is the single biggest difference one can make to race times...now days I still train on my Mavics (which are an excellent training wheel) however I have moved up to Zipp/Hed 3 combo for races.

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply