Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming advice and evaluation...
Quote | Reply
I have been swimming off and on for about 6-7 years now (started at 19, now I am 26). First, I used it as exercise, but the past 4 or so years, I have been trying to improve since I wanted to get into triathlons. When I finally got the "hang of it", I could swim a half mile non-stop in 27 minutes. Last year, I really got serious since I signed up for Ironman Florida, and I managed to get this down to 17.5 minutes, while also being able to swim the requisite 2.4 miles non-stop (in about 1hr 40 minutes). This was all without any drill work, just plain old swimming. After a really weak Ironman swim, and my constant research, I have learned that many people emphasize drill work. So, since last December, all I have been doing is focusing on balance drills (side kick and such). It took me a while until I could even do these properly. In fact, I have made significant improvements in my abilities to perform the drills and have started trying to do actual workouts. This is where I am at currently, which I have based on the advice given on www.cruciblefitness.com :

5' warm-up (I get in about 250 yards)

4 x 25yd sprint w/ 30" rest (I can do these at about 20-22 secs a piece)

2 x 50yd Add-ups (I usually take about 34-35 strokes, and it takes me 54-55 seconds)

250yds Side Kick (alternating left and right every 25 yds)

250 yds Side Kick Change (alternate left and right every 6 kicks)

250 yds Side Kick w/3 switches (on side for six kicks, then three pulls and end up on opposite side)

50yd easy swim

4 x 25yd sprint w/ 30 rest (takes about 18-20 sec)

2 x 50yd Add-ups (I usually take about 32-33 strokes, and it takes me 52-54 seconds)

5' cool down (around 250 yds)

This whole routine takes me an hour, and I have been doing variations of this for a month or so now.

Is this going to help me down the road? The biggest thing I notice is that I have become very comfortable doing the drills. I feel very streamlined, and I never struggle to breathe, I have much better balance than before. However, I feel like I have trouble translating this balance to my swimming. I feel very comfortable and streamlined for 25 yards, then I start to fall apart after that. I feel like my breathing is very ackward.

Has anyone out there with a similar background to me used a similar method and achieved success with it? At what point did you start to swim more and drill less? I am starting to feel comfortable with the drills, but no more comfortable swimming, should I start trying to perform more swimming in between my drill sets? Thanks for the help,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming advice and evaluation... [jjmc27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming should be anyting but routine. Get some variety in what you're doing! :) Join a master team and swim with them a few times a week. The other day stick with easy drill swims. Mix up the drill swims as well, working on different aspects of your stroke on different days. For instance, one day work on body position, one day work on reducing stroke count, one day work on swimming on your side, etc.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming advice and evaluation... [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah swim masters - even if just once a week. Or get a swimming coach to help you mix it up.

Also, in my experience, if you are comfortable on the drill then you are probably starting to 'cheat' a little at the drill.

A good online coach is at www.wintheswim.com

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming advice and evaluation... [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of masters swimming and coaches, but it just isn't real possible for me right now. Does that mean I'm doomed to being at the back of the pack during the swim?

It's interesting that you say I may be cheating on the drills. What are some ways to cheat on the side kick drills?

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheating basicly refers to not isolating the thing you are trying to isolate (i.e. moving your hands slightly in the kick, not getting fully on your side etc.)

As we are training for a longer open water swim, you might want to try some slightly longer distance repeats. Try something like this once every other week or so:

5' wu

5 * 300

on a repeat time that gives you 30 sec rest at medium effort for the first one (i.e. 5:30). Don't do thirty sec. rest after every one because then if you slack off you still get just as much rest.

5' wd

This workout should give you about 2K of swimming in a good 45-50 min or so. A little faster than you have been going but just like we need a good long simple ride every once in a while I think we need the same thing in the pool. You are mixing enough drill into your other workout to skip drill every once in a while. I would also try to mix up your drills a little bit.

Try Finger tip drag - pretend your finger is a marker and draw a line up your side on the recovery - works on high elbows and smoother recovery.

Try doing the odd length head up sprint during your drill workout - focus on keeping your legs near the top of the water and really move your arms fast (but don't shorten your stroke). I find this helps for at the start when you are trying to get your bearings. (and keeps people from grabbing your goggles).

Catch-up drill - a variation on the old coaches favorite - instead of catching up at the top. do a stroke and stop your hand at the bottom (hand should graze thigh), and then take a stroke with the other hand (i.e. one arm at a time but hands at the side not in front of you). I find this helps you focus on keeping your body balanced and on taking a full stroke. You should keep up a fast kick during this drill.

Good Luck. BTW you may be back of the pack on the swim but you probably pass me on the bike. and stay ahead on the run.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an excellent and smart thing. "Technique sets the upper limit of where your fitness will take you." I did nothing but drills for the months of November, December and January. About 1 hour per session, 3x a week. Now I am back to "regular" swimming - not for speed but focusing on technique. Here is what I can tell you about my results:

1. My technique has improved immensely. Thanks to a friend with a underwater cam and the feedback my muscles are giving me I can say this is unequivocally true.

2. I am definitely faster. Again, I am only swimming technique right now, but I AM counting strokes (there are 3 less per 25m) and I know this will translate to speed.

So, I say you are just about in the right timeframe to go back to regular swimming (on your own,. masters, whatever) but just go slow for now and stay focused on technique. if you have 4K shceduled and start to fall aprat at 2K, cool down and call it a day. It may take a couple of weeks for your technique to catch back up (it did for me) but it will do so quikcly and you'll be surprised at how much better you are.

Good Luck!

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply