Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ultrasound machine - is it any good? [Randy.Brosno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, quit the advertising. This forum does not care for that shit........your first three posts all on ultrasound machines....go away
Quote Reply
Re: Ultrasound machine - is it any good? [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize this post is 9 years old, but I'm going to comment for the good of humanity.

The most recent meta-analysis I read regarding therapeutic ultrasound is that there was no difference from a placebo.

http://www.ironmanglib.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ultrasound machine - is it any good? [fullerton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fullerton wrote:
biker2035 wrote:
I am a PT, and use Ultrasound only when a pt requests it. It always works, whether I turn it on or not :) True story

I was given a single Ultrasound session when recovering from a hurt shoulder. I can't say it did anything, though I question if a single session would be sufficient to see a result. Not to mention I was doing PT along side it, so there would be too many variables to say for sure.

Has there been any studies as to the effectiveness of Ultrasound?

I received a handful of ultrasound sessions as a teenager when I damaged several muscles in my shoulder playing rugby.

I recovered a little more quickly than I feel could reasonably be expected for the severity of the injury, but I also received regular deep tissue massage in the same period so it's hard for me to say with confidence that the ultrasound made a meaningful difference.
With that caveat in mind, I do feel that it worked well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultrasound machine - is it any good? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a $60 home ultrasound unit. This particular unit is called Model ProM-660, but there are many different "models" which look exactly the same and many others which look slightly different but mostly the same. This thing vibrates at approximately 120 hz. This is a little short of 1 Mhz (by a factor of 10,000). I can't tell you that it doesn't also produce a 1 Mhz frequency, but I find this 120 hz frequency highly suspicious.

I have also been reading about ultrasound therapy, and it appears there is very little, if any, quality research which demonstrates any benefit. Yet billions and billions of dollars of ultrasound therapy have been applied over the last 50 years. There's a sucker born every minute (actually it's 4 per second) and I am one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultrasound machine - is it any good? [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a PT myself, I concur. For most people Ultrasound is a waste of money for the patient. The goal is a deep warming in a targeted area and is really only indicated in the most acute or debilitating of injuries where an active warmup is not possible. For all those people out there reporting Achilles tendinipathy, there is no reason for ultrasound when you are likely walking or riding anyway. Go for the active warmup.
Quote Reply

Prev Next