Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

On line coaching for seniors (55+)
Quote | Reply
I know there have been several threads on online coaching etc. I am sold on the concept and have had one online plus a local coach. The only problem I have encountered is asking them is give me more rest days. It was never considered. As a result I dropped both and have been self coached for the past 18 months using 2 rest days per week. This past year I did have 2 placings (2nd and 3rd) in my AG and PR'ed a couple of other races.
I do need help with taper and peaking and actually like the dailog. Any over 40 AGers (or coaches for that matter) have recommendations?

Thanks,

fal7
Quote Reply
Re: On line coaching for seniors (55+) [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you just need to keep looking and interviewing coaches and find one who will work with you and your schedule and not just push out a stock program. There should be some back and forth between the athlete and coach and if the coach doesn't work with you, you are right to drop them. Good luck.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the time the reason a coach/athlete relationship doesn't work out is a lack of communication...on both ends. While it is the coaches job to communicate to the athlete what he is telling him/her to do and why, and what he hopes that they will accomplish, it is the athletes job to tell the coach how they feel and how they are responding, as well as what their individual goals are. The athlete needs to tell the coach about their schedule, demands on time, past history, etc, and be in a constant state of communication with their coach. Keep looking for someone who believes in overcommunication.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me put in my two cents worth on the guy that I use. His website is tricoaching.com and the coaches name is Karl DeBate. I have worked with him for two years now and he is extremely responsive to what you, the individual athlete, want to do. His philosophy is to get you there healthy while still hitting your goal. There is no reason to pay what we pay for some of these long distance triathlons only to burn yourself out physically or mentally and not enjoy at least part of the process and the race itself. Give him an e mail and see if he may be what you are looking for
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an older guy in our area who is 64 and coaches the 40+ crowd. He qualified for and raced in Kona several times in the past decade, pulling a Kona podium spot when he was 58 or 59. You might want to give him a shout at baboou@cfl.rr.com. I don't know what he charges but the results of his older athletes have been impressive. Best of luck and fun in your training and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right on the recovery-regeneration for older athletes. I provide coaching for many over 40 triathletes and some need 1 passive day off and 1 active day off in one week. I also will cycle them in smaller blocks with a decreased training volume week every 3rd week. I find that they respond so much better to the training load since the key to improving is allowing the body to recover. Recovery is about the body repairing itself from the stress we provide from training. Hope this helps.

Steve Fluet
Quote Reply
Re: On line coaching for seniors (55+) [ESTS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the note. If you can could you provide some info on your coaching services.

Thanks,

fal7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb. NO question he is the best coach around for the $$, and really is one of the best coaches period. If you are interested in more info, please email me directly. I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you.

P.S. - if we race against each other, take it easy on this 28 year old!! On second thought, Mike may make you way faster than me. I am not sure this is a good idea. Just kidding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please email me at my office esports@maine.rr.com and I can provide you with more detail. I can also send you my cell if you want to talk by phone. I have been coaching triathletes for 12 years, have a sports medicine degree, and specialize in Ironman training. I can also provide you with my bio. I also write the tri tips for www.ironmanlive.com

Steve
Quote Reply