Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed carbon extensions, pipe cutter?
Quote | Reply
Can I cut my extensions with a pipe cutter? If not what?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hed carbon extensions, pipe cutter? [trican1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can cut them. There's an aluminum sleeve in the end of them that's a reinforcement for the bar-end shifter clamps. If you cut this off, you can't attach the shifters (unless you go to the considerable hassle of cutting out this sleeve, then grinding the new ends so that you can reinsert and glue the sleeve).
Quote Reply
Re: Hed carbon extensions, pipe cutter? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have specified, it's the other end I'm trying to cut for the proper length, not the tips were the shifters go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hacksaws generally work better. Get a blade with really fine teeth and try to avoid breathing the dust.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed carbon extensions, pipe cutter? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, hacksaw or bandsaw. bandsaw is condsiderably faster if you have one but a hacksaw will do just fine. I don't think a pipe cutter will work at all. -Andy

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Hed carbon extensions, pipe cutter? [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use a hacksaw, you want to get a toothless blade made for cutting composites, like this:

http://www.permagrit.com/system/index.html

Cut around a scribed line around the full perimiter instead of trying to cut through the entire bar from the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used a regular hacksaw on both of my HED bars and it was super easy. I'm assuming that you are shortening the extensions
Quote Reply
Re: Hed carbon extensions, pipe cutter? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think you can cut them. There's an aluminum sleeve in the end of them that's a reinforcement for the bar-end shifter clamps. If you cut this off, you can't attach the shifters (unless you go to the considerable hassle of cutting out this sleeve, then grinding the new ends so that you can reinsert and glue the sleeve).

For what it's worth, you can cut them off and simply place the shifters in the carbon bar. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone unless you like a lot of hassle though, but I made it work.
Quote Reply