Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for bike shop owners?
Quote | Reply
Ok...since i am taking my MCAT course this summer (4days/week) + training for IMC, i will not be left with enough time to work a proper summer job.

I have decided that i would like to 'volunteer' @ the LBS to learn more about bike repairs, the industry, etc.

They are a pretty small tri-specific shop (ok...the store that i like anyway), and i doubt they would hire anyone else as an employee, hence the volunteering.

here's the q: Would you as a bikeshop owner feel ok about this? I was going to ask them that for the help that they maybe let me bring my bike in and do repairs/tune-ups using their equipment...and to just let me hangout in return for me being there. (That...and accept any free stuff they want to throw my way...they are pretty cool about that ;) )

Any opinions? Is it a good idea from my standpoint?

Thanks,

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Question for bike shop owners? [Kevin Gregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A long time friend of mine opened his own shop while I was serving in the military (mountain biking also went mainstream during this time - grin). After I left the service, I found very gainful employment, and about 4 years ago, my friend was having a hard time finding reliable staff and asked if I wanted a part-time job! I did feel comfortable with that but did offer to help out (for no pay) after work a couple days each week as well as after Saturday morning training rides each week (shop is closed on Sunday). I helped out for the better part of 12-15 months during which time he was able to hire some top notch people and there was less and less of a need for me to 'hang around'! Although I never asked for any favors as a result of this - thats was friends are for - he has never forgotten how I helped out at the shop which has paid dividends for my wife and I far in excess of the time I put in!

Not being a shop owner, I can only relate to you that there is probably going to be a concern over the liability issues related to you being in this work place! What if you get hurt? Do you have medical insurance/coverage since you are not going to be covered by workmen's compensation should an accident occur on shop property! What kind of accidents - there are countless possibilities but I have seen things such as a shop tech somehow managing to embed a 6-inch strand of brake cable pretty deep into his forearm requiring medical attention. Another tech had to be rushed to the ER to have his eye flushed after getting zapped in the face by hydraulic fluid because a customer over tightened bleeder screw on a hydraulic disc brake and it failed when the lever was squeezed. The owner of the shop even strained his back once while lifting a heavy beach cruiser type bicycle off a display rack that was 4-feet off the ground!

Michael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an owner, but our local scuba shop had a volunteer that worked out great. The guy wasn't paid but got his scuba courses free and any merchandise at cost. He was an asset to the shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for bike shop owners? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't help your question as not a shop owner, but i wanted to wish you luck on the mcat's. I'm a medical resident and remember what a pain they are. Good luck.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for bike shop owners? [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you...i hopefully shall only have to take them once...

hence why i am not working this summer...ace them...and then never have to deal with them again!!!

:D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump. hoping tom d might reply.

Quote Reply