Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel choice at IMLP?
Quote | Reply
To follow up on this cassette debate...

I rode Lake Placid in 2001 in a pretty painful 6 hrs (2:45/3:15 for first and last half) on a Cervelo P2k with Rolf Vector Comps. I recently upgraded my wheel collection with a trispoke front and a Renn disk for the back.

Am I crazy to consider the disk for Lake Placid? I'm 6'5, 200lbs anyway, and my 61cm bike ain't light, so I'm better off obsessing with losing 5lbs off my frame than 1 lb from my bike's.

And if not the disk, what's the best rear wheel option?
Quote Reply
Good choice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wheel choice will work fine for you. I am 150 on a good day. I used a disk and a Zipp 404 last year and I was just fine. You are bigger and much stronger, about 40 minutes faster. Go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice at IMLP? [BigToe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same height and weight as you, although significantly slower. I ran a disk at LP this year and think it was the right choice.

Randy
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice at IMLP? [rtc9f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"search"

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If youare a descent bike handler... I can't imagine a cours where a disk would not work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice at IMLP? [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a tough one and I think it all comes down to what you're looking for. The weight shouldn't be a big issue for a man of your stature. But keep in mind where you loose most of your time. If you are strong and big you're going very fast on the downhills anyway with or without disk but you might loose it all again on your uphill. So if you think getting passed by everybody on the uphill, isn't good for your mind-set put the light wheels on if you like passing everybody on the downhill and that's enough adrenaline to hold it on the way up, put the disk on. I did it in Hed3 back and cosmic carbon front, quite a heavy combination (5:28).
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice at IMLP? [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info. I was having a little buyer's remorse about the Renn but everyone's good words calmed me down pretty well.

People are going to pass me whether I have fast wheels, light wheels, round wheels, square wheels... I'm used to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A light disc will work well. I'm personally riding a HED3/Alps in an attempt to shave some weight while staying relatively aero. We shall see...

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply