Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

03 Zipp disc fit
Quote | Reply
Okay I got a new 03 Zipp disc wheel, glued the tire, and could not get it in the dropouts of my P2K. I have had several different wheels in the P2K so I suspected the Zipp wheel. In order to make the rear axle removable (for track, etc.) they have an allen head bolt (the one on the non-drive side specifically) that has a lip (basically a pan head). I had to do 2 things 1) file this lip down to the level of the piece that goes in the dropout, and 2) sand the paint and a small bit of metal from the rear dropout on both sides so that the wheel would fit. I did not contact Zipp. Had I contacted them I am sure they would have been very helpful as they always are / have been in the past (I have a set of road 404's and a set of track 404's as well as a 909 disc that I sold to get this disc). I don't think there is anything they could do about it without me sending the disc back (this didn't seem that serious a problem). I just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem, and warn anybody to check this before an important ride.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: 03 Zipp disc fit [kburandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should remove the paint from both sides of the dropout where the QR will bite into the metal of the frame. That may take off enough of the gap for you.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: 03 Zipp disc fit [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was not a width problem, rather the hollow axle going through the dropout was too thick. The axle is held in place by an allen head bolt that has a lip on it, which also caused a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: 03 Zipp disc fit [kburandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would call Zipp...you also may want to take a caliper out and make sure that you are 130mm wide. Could be a bad part. My 909 did one time have the cassette body fall off when the binder srew deal came loose (not fall off, but slide off - while on the frame). LockTite and no more problems (242 blue)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply