Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...although I don't like the taste of soy products so the hot sandwich would have to be with 1/2 fat cheese."

I'm lactose intolerant so soy cheese is my option. It's very very rare if I have real cheese, although I love it. But I rarely have soy cheese also.

'Fat' is not the problem: once you understand what fats your body can use, just go for those fats.... one problem about today's choice of 'eating healthy' is that marketers will create "fake foods" (full of preservatives and additives) to simulate real food. I'd rather have raw cheese straight from the cow than the modified 'nonfat' cheese, loaded with chemicals, cleaned by ammonia, etc.

I spent 10 minutes in a store the other day talking a woman out of buying coffee creamer ("CoffeeMate").

Note that I am a 'health coach' and not a 'grocery store coach' :)

...But let me also repeat: everyone who eats the way I suggest pares fat from their body. Period.

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that's good enough for me, I'm ringing my father (the master butcher) in the morning and getting some of that local mature cheddar with the bite for Sunday! No more adapted cheese for me!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How about in addition to the buddy system, we have a daily log online somewhere that we can check if we complete our goals."

There's a place online called Joe's Goals.
www.joesgoals.com
Says it's shareable....

I agree with Jodi. Using this goalsheet might help: it's really simple.

Thoughts?
Lauren

PS: Jodi, if you have a moment for writing on ST, then find a moment for coffee with me! I'll come to you...!! :)

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in! I'm at 132 and would love to get back down to around 110.
Lauren, thanks for all the ideas. I've printed your guidelines and am going to work out a nutrition plan tonight. Question--how many calories do you eat for each 'meal'. I could easily get carried away by eating 5 to 6 meals per day. For clarification, you basically eat breakfast, lunch, dinner with a morning and afternoon snack?
You mentioned talking a lady out of buying coffee creamer. Is it the coffee that's bad (fingers crossed here, I love my morning coffee) or her choice of creamer? Thanks again for taking the time to help us all.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No more adapted cheese for me! "

HINT:
Only use enough cheese (or other 'extra' food) for a HINT of flavor. Save your calories for the REAL nutrition: carb, pro, or healthy fat!

EXAMPLE: on a hamburger, you get the same flavor with .25 oz of cheese (one little strip) as with 1 oz!

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hamburger!!!!!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [TryingRealHard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Question--how many calories do you eat for each 'meal'. I could easily get carried away by eating 5 to 6 meals per day. For clarification, you basically eat breakfast, lunch, dinner with a morning and afternoon snack?
You mentioned talking a lady out of buying coffee creamer. Is it the coffee that's bad (fingers crossed here, I love my morning coffee) or her choice of creamer? "

I can't tell you your own calories because I don't know your activity level, what days you train, how hard you train, what your day job is (sedentary or active), etc.... basically you want to divide your calories through your day amongst 5-6 meals with the more calories centered around your biggest activity times. You need to recover from your training.

Training/race expendature calculator:
http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/jcalories.html

The whole coffee argument is long: it has to do with exciting your adrenal glands, etc. To save time (and energy) in explanation, I won't tell you to cut the morning coffee out, but stay about 1 cup and don't put sugar in. If you like sugar, start getting used to it without sugar -- or switch to stevia (a non-sugar, non-chemical sweetner made from a plant).

Hope this helps.
Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lauren,

thank you for all the advice and time you are taking for this Health Challenge ( i like that, Jodi!).

time to get disciplined. i am like bottom feeder. race season is over, i've gotten sedentary, slipped into bad habits, etc. they key for me is good planning. if i am prepared for my 5-6 meals a day, then i don't snack on random stuff.

on sweeteners: i've tried stevia, and didn't find it sweet at all. maybe i need to get my body used to NO sugar first and then stevia will taste sweet? also, i heard the creators of Splenda won't touch the stuff themselves!

thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [mayday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in and I like the idea of donating any money instead to charity. 245 now, target 225 (or lower) by xmas.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [klointheridge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i've tried stevia, and didn't find it sweet at all. maybe i need to get my body used to NO sugar first and then stevia will taste sweet? also, i heard the creators of Splenda won't touch the stuff themselves! "

I don't know about that rumor about Splenda creators...

As for sweet things, I always prefer that people get off of sweet things entirely. Sugar nothing if possible, honey nothing, don't sweeten anything. You will more naturally taste the real sweetness of foods when they arrive: apples will be sweet, or raisins, or other things.... I only added the stevia part for people whom I can't convince to stop sweetening their food.

Food was meant to have ALL flavors: tart, sweet, salty, sour, savory, spicy, smoky, even bland. Indian food is a great example of the wide palate we can taste! American marketers know they can addict us with sweetness, so they sweeten most everything - but it's not found in nature that way, and these sweetners are harming us more (think: diabetes) than any other time in our history.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lauren thanks for all of your tips! They are really helpful! I just found out I have high cholesterol and I worry about eating all the protein, any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [tri2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I just found out I have high cholesterol and I worry about eating all the protein, any suggestions?"

Yeah. Research the hell out of 'high cholesterol' to find out that what your doctor says may not be as true as he/she wants you to believe. There's a racket going on about high cholesterol meds, arbitrary cholesterol numbers, what the body makes as natural cholestrol, what the body needs cholesterol for (hormones), etc.

Here's an interesting article:
http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html *

PLEASE read that Friel "Triathlete Training Bible" (It's cheap enough: $22.95 new) to understand how much carb, protein, and fat you really need in your diet. We aren't talking about 65% protein (like bodybuilder try to eat) - we are talking like 30% protein, which isn't much at all. Correlate this nutrition with the information you read about cholesterol, and don't be nervous about making wise nutritional choices.

Lauren

* A quote from this (above-stated) article:

"Nowhere is the failing of our medical system more evident than in the wholesale acceptance of cholesterol reduction as a way to prevent disease--have all these doctors forgotten what they learned in biochemistry 101 about the many roles of cholesterol in the human biochemistry? Every cell membrane in our body contains cholesterol because cholesterol is what makes our cells waterproof--without cholesterol we could not have a different biochemistry on the inside and the outside of the cell. When cholesterol levels are not adequate, the cell membrane becomes leaky or porous, a situation the body interprets as an emergency, releasing a flood of corticoid hormones that work by sequestering cholesterol from one part of the body and transporting it to areas where it is lacking. Cholesterol is the body’s repair substance: scar tissue contains high levels of cholesterol, including scar tissue in the arteries.

"Cholesterol is the precursor to vitamin D, necessary for numerous biochemical processes including mineral metabolism. The bile salts, required for the digestion of fat, are made of cholesterol. Those who suffer from low cholesterol often have trouble digesting fats. Cholesterol also functions as a powerful antioxidant, thus protecting us against cancer and aging.

"Cholesterol is vital to proper neurological function. It plays a key role in the formation of memory and the uptake of hormones in the brain, including serotonin, the body’s feel-good chemical. When cholesterol levels drop too low, the serotonin receptors cannot work. Cholesterol is the main organic molecule in the brain, constituting over half the dry weight of the cerebral cortex.

"Finally, cholesterol is the precursor to all the hormones produced in the adrenal cortex including glucocorticoids, which regulate blood sugar levels, and mineralocorticoids, which regulate mineral balance. Corticoids are the cholesterol-based adrenal hormones that the body uses in response to stress of various types; it promotes healing and balances the tendency to inflammation. The adrenal cortex also produces sex hormones, including testosterone, estrogen and progesterone, out of cholesterol. Thus, low cholesterol--whether due to an innate error of metabolism or induced by cholesterol-lowering diets and drugs--can be expected to disrupt the production of adrenal hormones and lead to blood sugar problems, edema, mineral deficiencies, chronic inflammation, difficulty in healing, allergies, asthma, reduced libido, infertility and various reproductive problems...."

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in also.

I started with the original 20 lb. weight loss challenge last year. I guess I am one of the success stories of the challenge. Just after Christmas I weighed 217 lb (at 6’2”). Now, I am 189 lb. A 28 lb. weight loss in nine months. I would like to be 175 lb. by Christmas this year.

Noted successes along the way in 2006:

For the first time ever as an adult I am under 200 lb.
Fitter and healthier than I have ever been at any time in my life
First ever ultra-marathon: Way Too Cool 50k
First half Ironman: Auburn International
Three triathlon personal bests in a row: (TBF Racing Tri for Fun #2, Real #2 and Fun#3)
No injuries or inflammation problems in 2006.

By the way – to everyone who participated in the original 20 lb. weight loss challenge: My REWARD arrived today!! A box full of Icebreakers from New Zealand. (see www.icebreaker.com) Cheers, Paul Charteris

------------
RD: The Tarawera Ultramarathon
http://www.taraweraultra.co.nz
------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in also.

I started with the original 20 lb. weight loss challenge last year. I guess I am one of the success stories of the challenge. Just after Christmas I weighed 217 lb (at 6’2”). Now, I am 189 lb. A 28 lb. weight loss in nine months. I would like to be 175 lb. by Christmas this year.

Noted successes along the way in 2006:

For the first time ever as an adult I am under 200 lb.
Fitter and healthier than I have ever been at any time in my life
First ever ultra-marathon: Way Too Cool 50k
First half Ironman: Auburn International
Three triathlon personal bests in a row: (TBF Racing Tri for Fun #2, Real #2 and Fun#3)
No injuries or inflammation problems in 2006.

By the way – to everyone who participated in the original 20 lb. weight loss challenge: My REWARD arrived today!! A box full of Icebreakers from New Zealand. (see www.icebreaker.com) Cheers, Paul Charteris

------------
RD: The Tarawera Ultramarathon
http://www.taraweraultra.co.nz
------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow this thread is popular. So was the last weight loss thread. Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised, it goes to show that many athletes are not above battling very familiar demons. I admit I am envious of folks who are at the top of their game right now. Hell I'm envious of whoever can do a 50 mi ride as I bonked pretty badly at mile 35 last Saturday. I had no business riding 50 miles. It was ugly...

That said, I find unsual comfort in the mutual support we have shown each other in this thread. With each new pledge of weight loss I find myself empathizing in a way I have never felt before. I hear y'all. I want to reach out and help... most of all I want to help myself.

I started giving myself goals this week. They are silly: 7 hours of exercise, 2 sessions of yoga, 2 salad meals, etc. Piddly stuff for now, but I believe in baby steps. The goals are designed to re-establish good habits of exercise and diet, and they will grow more challenging as I go along. Now I have set goals before, but find myself blowing them off more often than not. In retrospect I suspect a weak drive to succeed, and I am resigned to the fact that I cannot rely on my drive to police myself. So the carrot-only scheme doesn't work for me.

This time I want to try something different: a carrot / big stick scheme. The big stick being two-fold: 1) $50 into a jar for every week I fail to meet my stated goals, and 2) $50 to my buddy MJuric. MJuric has the reverse arrangement with me, and I hope for his sake he does not go bankrupt over this. I am excited about this new journey - if anything it will give us a few good laughs. I plan to give whatever money I've collected this way to charity at the end of the year.

Seeing how much interest there is in this topic, I would love to see somebody with computer expertise step up and create a site where people can enter their statistics, their weekly goals, their financial pledges, etc. It seems that that would help motivate many people. A lot of good ideas have been proposed so far, and it would be a shame if we fail to implement them.

Anybody up for the task?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...With each new pledge of weight loss I find myself empathizing in a way I have never felt before. I hear y'all. I want to reach out and help... most of all I want to help myself. "

EXCELLENT!
A community of compassion!!!

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I'm 183 and I want to be 163lbs.

Thanks for putting this together.

stef

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I just missed my 20lb goal in the last challenge have since hit but still have a long ways to go ~50lbs.

Im 225.5 (I'll take the .5 lb penatly and say starting weight of 225) Goal 200 by years end.

Lauren thanks for all the good comments.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ok, based on Jodi's suggestions on goals, I suggest that you easily sign up for www.joesgoals.com

Here are the goals, based on the guidelines I suggested earlier in the thread, plus a few others (which are basic to tri/ athletic training). If you missed the earlier post, go back and read it to understand why these guidelines are being suggested.

------------

1) Cut out processed or refined foods: whole foods only:
Fruits, veggies, meats (if you eat meats), fish, eggs, etc.

2) 1x or less alcohol per WEEK

3) Ate 5-6 'meals' a day

4) Ate no processed sugar products, added sweetners, or sugar-sourced condiments (including honey, molasses, etc) as 'food'. (Your sugars can only be during your training - see #9). CHECKED ALL LABELS FOR 'High fructose corn syrup', sugar, etc.

5) Treat meal 1-2x week - (or not!)

6) Portion size no bigger than the palm (approx 1/2 c). (This doesn't count with salads).

7) RECORDED ALL FOOD for at least 5-14 days to see eating patterns.

8) Drank water as main liquid source

9) Maintained proper training/race nourishment and hydration, including broad-spectrum electrolytes according to sweat rate needs. Did not skimp on necessary carbs, gels, sports drinks during the important times before, during, after training.

10) Trained as normal - or better than normal. Checked my calorie expendature on http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/jcalories.html for enough calories to train and live.

How is this?

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Last edited by: Fitnesscoach: Sep 6, 06 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [tri2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2Tri-

I had very high cholesterol at age 18-22 (for my age). My doctors were stumped and wanted to put me on statins, take me off birth control, etc. I wasn't eating that much protein or fat for that matter. I was a carb junkie for sure. I said no thanks to the drugs and got serious about healthy eating. My protein intake actually increased quite a bit. I followed the zone diet religiously, which isn't that different from the diet that Lauren is proposing. After a year (granted I lost 20-25 pounds) my cholesterol had totally reversed. My LDL went from 166 to 100 and my HDL went from 40 to 80. My doctor was amazed. And in that time I ate a ton of protein, mostly from lean sources, but I did eat a bit of chili and some lean beef, and I ate a ton of egg whites. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that only good things can come from eating a whole foods diet. It helped me so much and I felt great. I have slipped a little, which is why I want to get back into the groove here, but it is helpful to know how good I am going to feel once I get serious about my diet again. And I have been avoiding the dreaded cholesterol test since I slipped from my healthy ways!

:)

Good luck!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the goals, Lauren. We might need to break them down into "daily goals" and "weekly goals" for recording purposes. (ie, 5-6 meals per day would be a daily goal, less than 1 drink per week in the weekly goal category). We can have the weigh-in be a weekly goal as well (lose or maintain). I am stoked to get started. I have very little computer skills, so I'm probably not the go-to person to make an updatable table for everyone...

I probably missed this- I know it is okay to use training carbs while exercising. Are there any energy bars that are better for your body and contain less processed ingredients for recovery food? I like to have an easy energy source for post-swimming workouts (since I go directly to work). I had thought that Cliff made a pretty healthy bar. Any other suggestions out there? Hammer? Or should I just pack a couple bananas?

And god help us if Smuckers Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter gets put on the list of banned substances. Good luck tearing that stuff away from me. It's like crack.

Off to join Joesgoals!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has anyone tried www.fitday.com. this helped me lose 10 lbs. this spring. a person can record food intake and exercise on this site. it provides reporting by week/month/day. also I think you can set up your account so that other people can check out your data.

having my RMR tested helped a lot to. my rmr is 1146, knowing this and recording my diet was a rude awakening.

i'm in too. 10 lbs by oct 31st.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Love the goals, Lauren. We might need to break them down into "daily goals" and "weekly goals" for recording purposes. (ie, 5-6 meals per day would be a daily goal, less than 1 drink per week in the weekly goal category). We can have the weigh-in be a weekly goal as well (lose or maintain). I am stoked to get started. I have very little computer skills, so I'm probably not the go-to person to make an updatable table for everyone...

I probably missed this- I know it is okay to use training carbs while exercising. Are there any energy bars that are better for your body and contain less processed ingredients for recovery food? I like to have an easy energy source for post-swimming workouts (since I go directly to work). I had thought that Cliff made a pretty healthy bar. Any other suggestions out there? Hammer? Or should I just pack a couple bananas? "

bananas are good... pre-mixing a recovery drink and keeping it cool enough is okay also (i have a small cooler-bag). I use Accelerade; some people can use Hammer. Carbs are needed for training. Clifbar is good also. Carbs aren't the enemy: bad food habits are the enemy :)

As for daily and weekly goals -- people will figure out what is best for them. Let's not get too daily/weekly about it.

I am trying to see if www.pbwiki.com is a good place for this also.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [lkkowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
has anyone tried www.fitday.com. this helped me lose 10 lbs. this spring. a person can record food intake and exercise on this site. it provides reporting by week/month/day. also I think you can set up your account so that other people can check out your data.

having my RMR tested helped a lot to. my rmr is 1146, knowing this and recording my diet was a rude awakening.

i'm in too. 10 lbs by oct 31st.

yes, i use Fitday and Fitnesscoach (i've enlisted her services to help me on several critical topics for self improvement in regards to work stress, personal stress, diet improvements and overall life improvements, etc) can communicate with me on the site, and see what's logged, etc. it's a great program.

BTW--anyone wanting to work through topics of diet, stress, and basically any other topic/issue, i highly recommend Lauren. we've been working together for a few months now, and it's been only the greatest experience. anybody can PM me for details about my expeirence in working with her.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrection of the 20lb weight loss challenge [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the wonderful compliments, KC; I'm blushing...

I think Fitday works great... it's just that ST'ers can't see everyone's stats if a Health Challenge is listed on so many individual Fitdays.

I'm trying a wiki right now... maybe there's a way to individually get on a wiki and modify one's own info. So I did create an account on www.pbwiki.com. I'm a little tired now, so I'm not thinking clearly on whether this is the right way to do this.

Meanwhile, anyone can feel free to see what's not yet created --- at http://healthchallenge.pbwiki.com/

I'm a little fuzzy on how to do this securely. I understand the ideas of wikis and this seems like a great idea in theory, but I'm not sure if this is the proper way to have an ongoing challenge.... I created an easy password people can use to do their editing, but once again, I'm not sure what is the correct venue for this.

If someone wants to communicate with me about this, please step up. I can tell you the password and maybe you can start this off... or tell me that wikis are not the place for a 'public' challenge?

Thanks,
Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply

Prev Next