Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$%*@ Immune system sucks...any advice?
Quote | Reply
For the first 33 years of my time on earth, I had a bullet proof immune system. For the last 2 years, I seem to catch every freakin' cold/earache/cough that comes within a mile of my body. What works to re-energize one's immune system???

I'm NOT overtrained or under-slept. I might train 7 hours a week and I get decent sleep pretty much every night. Stress level is fine, I'm not going nuts at work or at home with stress. My weight has been a constant 165 both before and after my immune system breakdown. I eat a good diet, lots of veggies, fruit, etc. Maybe a bit too much chocolate from the candy dish at work, but I don't live of of Fruit Loops and Coke by any means.

What the hell can I do to get back my bulletproofness?
Quote Reply
Re: $%*@ Immune system sucks...any advice? [Colin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AIDS?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: $%*@ Immune system sucks...any advice? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can wearing a speedo give you AIDS? Or maybe the cycling tights? You could be onto something.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to post something today on the exact topic. I always deride people for taking anti-biotics and popping every drug in the book everytime they sneeze as I sugget their immune system will get stronger if you fight colds/the flu naturally.

So, I do not take anything but I am now on my second bad cold in the last 2 months and I used to go years without anything.

I was also wondering where the problem is and have started examining my diet/sleep/exercise patterns but can't really pinpoint anything yet.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it sounds weird but... Yogurt. Something about the active cultures...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Colin,

I am 32 and went through the same thing last year. At the suggestion of my doctor I had a FIA Comprehensive Profile 5000 and Spectrox Antioxidant Function (blood test) performed. The report is pretty long but it did indicate that I had some serious deficiencies and my antioxidant function is average. I ordered the recommended vitamin supplements that the report suggested and I haven't been ill or really sick since. I think I have had a cold, but it went away pretty quick. My training is better and I feel a lot better and it has been about a year since the blood work and taking the vitamins. The test cost me $75 with insurance but it was worth it because I was getting frustrated with my lack of immune system all of a sudden. The lab that performs the test is SpectraCell Laboratories, Inc. out of Houston, TX. The report is very thorough and makes sense with what I was feeling and how my deficiencies were related. Just an option for you to look into. Good luck with your quest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re an endurance athlete then you will likely have immune system issues at some point. After 15+ years of training, racing and getting sick that one piece of advice I can honestly give you is this: you MUST totally shut down to get healthy. I know people train with colds but it will linger much longer if you do. I just shut the whole operation down until I'm completely healthy for one full day. Racing sick doesn’t make much sense either unless it’s an once-in-a-lifetime race because (1) your gonna under perform and (2) your gonna remain sicker for longer.

Immunomodulators can help, I always take Zicam at the first sign of illness and I'll gargle Listerine for 2 minutes straight (yeah I'm tough) at the first sign of a sore throat (you need to lay flat for it to be effective). And of course, stay away from sick people like they've got the plague!

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you wash your hands much? Many diseases are transmitted by contact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How much red meat do you eat?

First thing that comes to mind is low iron. This can really weaken your immune system.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allergies. Just went to the doctor last Friday, I was having the same issues. Doctor said I had allergies. My body thought is was trying to fight off something that was not there. Prescribe some allergy medicine. I feel like a new person
Quote Reply
Re: $%*@ Immune system sucks...any advice? [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first I thought you were suggesting red wine as a cure...man, did I like that idea!

Red meat consumption....not so much really. Far more tofu, chicken and fish than red meat. Maybe twice a month for dead cow consuption.

Handwashing...I guess we could all be better at that. I'm really good after anything in a bathroom, but beyond that I'm not too regular with the handwashing. Not only that, but I've noticed a terrible habit of touching my hands to my face and lips since I've started paying attention to my POS immmune system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steak, lean (90-95% lean) burgers, and also mussels and clams.

Canned clams actually have more iron than steak!!! Put 'em in some red sauce over pasta---really tasty.

Citrus fruits/drinks enhance iron absorbtion as well.

Last year I got sick after every race and every hard training block----this has not happened this year. I actually supplement a daily iron tab (per my doc) but the food approach works very well.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you work out in a gym? I find that they are germ cesspools. Always wash your hands before you leave and when you get home. Also, public computers are pretty nasty. If you share computers at work, bring some of that alcohol hand sanitizer stuff to use periodically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is funny...I was getting a test done last Friday on my cold finger (yes it is still cold, no changes)...the doc (knock out dock) went about off on IM and diet saying there is no way for us to get enough "Micro nutrients" into our systems with out suppliments. I told him I eat well...to that he countered that with farming today the soil has been robbed of what should be there and is now missing from our foods. He was pretty animated about the whole thing...I honestly was waiting for him to take out a Shaklee book....but he may have a very good point.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signs of Nutrient Decline - http://www.motherearthnews.com/....php?id=4&page=1

Is Agribusiness Making Food Less Nutritious? - http://www.motherearthnews.com/...Food_Less_Nutritious

Three, two, one... <countdown to R10s organic crunchy peace loving hippie flaming response>

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides the whole vitamin course of action. I might suggest seeing an ENT doctor. Have these colds been accompanied by sore throats? I apparently was picking up a lot of colds due to bad tonsils/adendoids. WHile a horrible experience of recovery, I have been much healthier (back to normal) since I had the ol' tonsils out. Just another shot in the dark.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things that come to mind:

#1: hand washing, and don't touch eyes/nose

#2: good nutrition, including supplements. consume adequate calories (and balanced).

#3: always use recovery drink or something after workouts. also helpful to consume carbs during.

#4: control allergies, if you have them. use nasal saline spray or nasal irrigator to promote drainage.

All these things have helped me stay sickness-free, despite having young children in day care, and increasing my training load. If I do get a cold, I barely notice it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my own obersvations ymmv.

i thought i had occassional and strange dips in my immune system, but when i thought about it, they generally coincided with a busy time where i didnt wash my hands enough, or an airplane trip which is terrible for picking up bugs...as are my nieces, who are walking/crawling/slobbering petri dishes.

ive also had some success with cold fx...a product the venerable? don cherry hawks...seems to help sometimes, but not always.

multivitamins too.

and if all else fails a nice coffee enema. let it cool down first. yow!

but by far and away handwashing i think is the biggest contributor...to keeping infections away.

yea...wot notevenslow says....peachy!
Last edited by: Dumper: Aug 31, 06 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: $%*@ Immune system sucks...any advice? [crucible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The test cost me $75 with insurance but it was worth it because I was getting frustrated with my lack of immune system all of a sudden.
How much do the antioxidant supplements cost you?

you do get physicals, right?
Quote Reply
Re: $%*@ Immune system sucks...any advice? [S.C.U.M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had one in about 4 years. Both the doc and I felt they were a waste of time as I was under 40 and didn't have any problems. I take it you think otherwise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my sports med doc said the same thing to me. about 3yrs ago i started using greens+ and have have exactly 1 cold & one sinus infection. and i learned not to run a 30k race with a cold in the sleet.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you moved recently? I've had a similar experience with being sick a lot after moving from the midwest to the east coast. New strains to build immunities to.

I've had some success, though, with the Linus Pauling method. At the first, smallest sign of sicknes, I start munching vitamin C tabs throughout the day--I might take 10 or 12. Seems to keep the duration and intensity down. There's actually some valid scientific research supporting this as well.

Roscoe

Quote | Reply
Welcome to the terminal illness called - getting old... want to get your bullet proofness back? Well... you probably need to go back about 10 yrs. in age.

I ran into the same thing, except on a much more drastic level... I also contracted allergies in addition to colds/flus... serious enough to get hospitalized.

One thing I found help me a lot...

I quite drinking ALL caffeine products (tea, soft drinks, coffee, etc)... it seems that caffeine only makes you alert at times when your body would be better off resting or sleeping. Caffeine simply hindered my ability to rest when my body needed rest. In my case, caffeine has a way of over riding your bodies ability to send out messages that it is tired.

Worked for me... I now seldom have colds or problems with allergies and almost never feel exhausted.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend a Glutamine supplement. There are some studies that show many endurance athletes become deficient in this amino acid. As to why we're more prone to deficiency, I think the jury is still out. Glutamine plays an important role in the proper function of the immune system.

I've been taking it since January this year and haven't had any training set backs from illness despite pretty heavy workloads. Whereas last year I must of had at least 3-4 bouts of URIs that tended to derail the training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next