Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

femoral neck stress fracture
Quote | Reply
  I am just starting to run again after a 4 and a half month layoff due to a femoral neck stress fracture. I think I have a long road ahead.
Anyone else been there?
Quote Reply
Re: femoral neck stress fracture [markie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worse! Acetabular fracture from being hit and run on my bike in April. Required open reduction internal fixation with a plate and 8 screws. The surgical approach required dissecting through my hip abductors and the gluteal muscles. Three months of non-weight bearing afterwards and now re-strengthening the leg with endless hours of therapy and stationary cycling. The only piece of advice is go slow and listen to your body. I am assuming your orthopod has cleared you to run so start off with slow runs of short duration. Maybe even consider throwing in some aqua-jogging. As you know, the hip takes quite a bit of impact so be careful and choose your running surfaces wisely. Good luck!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: femoral neck stress fracture [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow!

Ya, I have been cleared to run again. I am starting slow. I am doing more cycling and swimming. And aqua jogging. I must say though, I am finding it hard to stay focused without a concrete goal. ie: a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had one. Sucked. I wouldn't use crutches so hobbled around to classes. That is how I came to swim. So, I guess everything can happen for a reason. Got one in my Left foot and compensated thus messing up my R hip. Also learned to build more gradually rather than blowing off training in the summer and diving right in for practice, run on grass vs asphalt vs concrete, and add calcium to the diet. Aqua jogging did get old. It was cool to watch the diving team practice. I was kind of fascinated by the ultrasound gel and talking to people in PT about their injuries and opera singing and stuff. But overall those whole few months were miserable and it was hard re-starting again. Best wishes though, you kind of get to start anew. clean slate :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a long road, but certainly doable. I was diagnosed with the same thing in 2004, and successfully completed 1 IM and 2 HIMs in 2005 and 2 IMs in 2006. Mine ended up slightly rotating my hip upon healing, which forced me to alter running gait and bike setup a bit. Other than that, no problems. You may notice that the area becomes sore/tender during periods of high volume. I try to back off a bit when this happens, as I'm sure a repeat fracture in that area would not be pleasant.
Quote Reply
Re: femoral neck stress fracture [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rooster, what's the progress on the overshadowed knee injury?

--------------------------------------------------------
Rebuilt with twice as many titanium parts as Portland79.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, got three screws in my hip. It was broken almost all the way through. But I sure wasn't out for four and a half months!! Wow!

I was back on the trainer (albeit slowly) after only three weeks, and I was back running in a little over a month.

I had the surgery in the middle of January a couple of years ago, and I did a 5K in March and a marathon in June of that year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize I had a femoral neck SF, and I ran on it til it broke. So, at least you caught yours. Just curious... the femur is a very hard bone. Did they tell you why you had a SF there?

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: femoral neck stress fracture [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Austin,

Same here. I went to four different doctors and each one told me something different (ITB, Piriformis Syndrome, pulled glute, etc., etc.), but they all said "just let pain be your guide!"

I ran a marathon on it (and it hurt like hell!) and nearly fractured it all the way through. Finally an MRI showed the fracture (this was the FIFTH doctor) and I had screws put in to shore it up. Haven't had problems since.
Quote Reply
Re: femoral neck stress fracture [GO548] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bill, the overshadowed knee injury (ACL tear) is just another stumbling block in the road to my recovery. Kinda' crazy that I tore my ACL as I never had any knee pain or joint effusion. I sort of got suspicious though when I started cheating a little and tried to bear weight on my left leg and it felt like my knee was going to give way. I thought maybe it was my imagination and was related to the fact that I hadn't been bearing weight on my left leg for 3 months and atrophy of the muscles was to blame. I obtained an MRI as it was getting close to starting my physical therapy with little suspicion that I had torn a ligament. Low and behold, the ACL was completely torn. I was told around 10% of ACL tears are without joint effusions and I am obviously one of those 10%. So here I am rehabbing my ankle fracture, ACL tear, and hip only to have to go under the knife again and then go through the same exact process all over again. I won't complain though as it's much better than having been killed. I will post an update on my rehab progress in the next few days.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had to take that much time off for a sfx, but I've had a few 6wk bouts off. Good luck, take it slowly, run on sand or grass.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply