Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)?
Quote | Reply
Is this an early developmental prototype of Felt's rumored carbon TT bike or is it a shadow on a regular Felt B2 at the Tour of California.

Felt has been very tight lipped about the appearance of the the (rumored) new carbon tri/tt bike- is this a glimpse?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...lifornia060/b85f5534

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rofl, i just watch the views of this post go from 600 to 1000 in a single refresh.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't see much of anything in that pic...it is kind of dark.

Anyway, I love felt bikes, there is something about their bikes that is so hot...I'd love to see that carbon TT bike up close...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through the Felt booth yesterday at the ToC and saw Jim there. They had a nice B2 set up with 909's and all the bells and whistles but if I recall correctly it was alloy. The really amazing bike was the R3 at the Cervelo booth. It felt like a feather and they had handles mounted where axels would go and invited you to try to twist the thing. It was stiff as a rock. Of course twisting with your arms is not the same as your legs and body weight.
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presumed that we would not see this thing there. I can't tell much from this photo, is that a shadow?:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...lifornia060/b85f5534

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't tell from the photo. Maybe someone out there will ask him at the traveling expo. I should have thought of that. He was just standing there with nothing to do. His new carbon road bikes sure where nice though so can't see a reason why the B2 is so late to the party. I always thought that was an understated classy looking bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a 2005 Felt F2C team issue right after Christmas and love the bike more every time I ride it. I'd be VERY interested to see the TT bike in carbon....

Please keep the spy pics coming!!

gbassett.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably to be made in the same Korean joint as the P3C (or is it Chineese?).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll do some recon on this tomorrow - will provide more pics if they are available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking it may just be the girl in the background's hair. It would be cool to have a new bike to look at though!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get your 2007 teaser mailing yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Tom

That's a standard B2 with the outline of the woman it the background's face creating the effect of an aero head tube.

Keep up the good work though... DYING to see the new B2 (or whatever it's going to be called)

B
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mjshapiro [ In reply to ]
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That web link is incomplete.
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope. he is incompetent. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty harsh words coming from the most likely candidate to take home 'dumbass of the year' from slowtwitch this year.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the article -

New Felt DA Carbon uncovered (Almost)
By Jay Prasuhn

July 22, 2006 -- First, a disclaimer: there will be no spy photos. You’ll wish there were spy photos, but there are none—yet.

There has been a buzz in the triathlon bike industry over the last month that longtime designer Jim Felt of Felt Racing had “something new” in the works. Something that will be “pretty revolutionary” industry experts told us. We didn’t know what it was or looked like, but that it was different.

So we finally went to the source, Mr. Felt himself. The man was, to put it loosely, enthralled with the impending debut of what was borne two years ago on a few cocktail napkins with fellow Felt designer Tim Lane at the Sea Otter Classic. Now, with tunnel testing done, computer fluid designs run, molds created and production slated to begin, the DA is reborn.

We’ll get the basics out of the way first: unlike its aluminum predecessor, the new DA will be all carbon. And unlike many bikes, it was truly born in the tunnel. Before any molds were created, Felt visited the San Diego Wind Tunnel to test plastic versions of his bike. It wasn’t until Felt was satisfied with the numbers he would go ahead with the process of making the DA.

Here’s where it gets interesting: at the tunnel, San Diego wind tunnel engineer Dave Sanford, who has hosted several dozen bike brands in the tunnel for tests, sidled up to Felt. “I don’t know if you know what you’ve done, but nobody has come in here the first time and come up with these kinds of numbers,” Felt said, beaming.

According to Felt who has had the likes of Paula Newby Fraser, Andy Potts and Craig Walton in his sponsored athlete stable, the new DA will have an aero profile that he says trumps many of the heavy hitters. Rear seat cowlings? A 3-1 aspect ratio? What’s it look like? We peppered Felt with questions. He was mum.

The details will be what will set this bike apart from the rest and make it an aero marvel. And while we tried to wrest ‘em from Felt, as you’ll find in our Q & A below, he was tight-lipped. “We really want Interbike to be the first place people see the new DA,” Felt said. “You’ll have to wait until then to see it.” We could press no more.

On with our Q&A . . .

Triathlete: So, we heard you have an ace in the hole….

Jim Felt: Oh yeah. It’s pretty friggin’ cool. It’s the new DA, and it’s back in carbon. One of our designers, Tim Lane and I have been at this one for a while, and it’s great to see it finally becoming a reality. And Tim, he really put his heart and soul into this.

It was two years ago at Sea Otter when we began sketching it. We went to the wind tunnel last few months, and… it was awesome. I went around and borrowed every bike that has gone fast and tested everyone else’s bikes before we put our own in there. Then we put ours in. It was so cool. I went in open minded. Then Dave (Sanford, San Diego Wind Tunnel engineer) said “you’ve done something pretty special here.” We put in everything, and we’re right there. We made some really good results.

Triathlete: How did you come up with something that was able to really challenge some brands that have been well established the last few years, and how does it look?

Felt: I can’t tell you to much about how it looks, but it’s so far different than what everyone else has done. Here’s the thing: we really did design it in the tunnel. It was created at first through computer fluid design. We’ll have data on how the bike was made more aero. Then we made a plastic model, and that’s what we took to the wind tunnel to do our first real model tests. When you’re looking at molds that are $50,000, $60,000, you want to make sure you do things right. The function will be amazing. And we’re already looking to get back to the wind tunnel.

Triathlete: What can you tell us about the geometry and build specifics?

Felt: The geometry is very close to the original Felt. It’ll have a little shorter chainstays to fit the wheel, it’ll have horizontal dropouts. Things are tucked away that will help the aerodynamics. I can tell you it is not a frame and a fork. It’s a complete bike. You can’t buy the frame and put a kit together. It’s a system. I think that’s what sets us apart.

Triathlete: What kind of spec and pricing?

Felt: Pricing? Expensive. Spec will be with Dura-Ace. It’s higher end. I think people will be surprised. It will be worth it, however. Everything will be top-of-the-line. It’s higher end. And when people see it, I honestly think they won’t be able to turn it down. It’s eye candy for sure.

Triathlete: Sizing run?

Felt: It’ll be a full range in centimeters in evens, and smaller sizes will be in 650. Triathlete: We have to ask: when you’re talking about beating some pretty proven brands in the tunnel, have you been approached by any ProTour teams for sponsorship?

Felt: I can’t say much, but things are happening. We’re going big ring in one fashion or another. It’s within the rules. It’s UCI legal.

Triathlete: So there has been interest from ProTour teams?

Felt: Yes.

You’ll see the first photos of the DA in the October issue of Triathlete, and the bike will make its official industry debut Sept. 25-29 at Interbike in Las Vegas. Be sure to check Triathlete’s Interbike web gallery that week at triathletemag.com for insider shots of the DA and everything else from Interbike.

- Matt

Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can tell you it is not a frame and a fork. It’s a complete bike. You can’t buy the frame and put a kit together. It’s a system.
Shades of Hooker (with all the upsides and downsides of proprietary parts), circa 1990.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you can almost see any of it!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
I can tell you it is not a frame and a fork. It’s a complete bike. You can’t buy the frame and put a kit together. It’s a system. [/reply]
Shades of Hooker (with all the upsides and downsides of proprietary parts), circa 1990.[/reply]

Funny you should mention Hooker since I once asked Jim about cut outs and horizontal drop outs. His reply was that in his opinion nobody had done a decent one since the infamous Hooker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply][reply]
I can tell you it is not a frame and a fork. It’s a complete bike. You can’t buy the frame and put a kit together. It’s a system. [/reply]
Shades of Hooker (with all the upsides and downsides of proprietary parts), circa 1990.[/reply]

Funny you should mention Hooker since I once asked Jim about cut outs and horizontal drop outs. His reply was that in his opinion nobody had done a decent one since the infamous Hooker.

??

While a few of the early Hooker track bikes had cut outs (somewhat less deep than on, e.g., a Cervelo P2k), this wasn't a standard feature on their road/TT bikes (which had vertical dropouts).
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how integrated is the new frame?

Integrated BB? Scott says some companies will be making that leap in 07.

Integrated Fork? Like Look but with tri geometry?

Integrated Seatpost? Again many road bikes are getting it in 2007

Brakes integrated or hidden like Oval's front tt brake but with a fork that is then redesigned in front?

Different frame widths like Walser? That would be about the biggest gamble, needing a proprietary front or rear wheel, although Shimano is making rear discs and cranks to fit walsers.

I know nothing will come onto this board before it is released and some of the above stated stuff is pretty out there but speculation is a good time.

Anyone else think it will be big changes or it will just be a carbon DA frame?
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes
Quote Reply
Re: The new Felt B2 Carbon (photo)? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow Dave, that baby looks fast!

Okay now post some better pics than the pics I saw, how many more days again?

And even better, more info on the new mtn bikes!
Quote Reply

Prev Next