Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular advice
Quote | Reply
I've just gotten a pair of Ksyrium tubulars.. having never used tubulars before, I was wondering if anybody can recommend some tires. The shop that I bought them from says get Continental Sprinters, any thoughts? (I'm going to be using the wheels primarly for racing, and maybe 1 or 2 fast race pace training rides to get a feel for them.) I train on Michilin Hi-Lite Comps.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular advice [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contis are very good but I prefer TUFOs now. We sell a lot of each. Seems like a little better "bang for the buck" with TUFOs.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
agree with Tom [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like my TUFO S3 Lites,good price, great ride, fast and don't leak. I haven't ridden mine in months(it's cold here in Michigan) and they are still holding alot of air pressure. You can also inflate these to well over 200 lbs if you want to. I run them about 160.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I now only use tubulars, even on my training wheels. Conti Sprinters are very good. The are also known as a good wet weather tire. You can pump them up to 170 psi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, interesting to see the tire pressure you guys are running. I would never run a tire over 120 psi. My belief is over 120psi the tire actually gets slower.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular advice [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Tom on the tire pressure. That's got to hurt at those pressures. I would think your fillings would be rattling loose. After Clement moved their production to Thailand and the CX and CG were no longer hand made I switched to VeloFlex. Sweet hand made tire whose ride is supple and lively made by the former Clement employees. I factor the cost for a pair of these into every Ironman. Although a harsher ride, the Conti GP is tough to beat for wear and puncture resistance. I've yet to try the TUFOs, but my training buddy gives them two thumbs up.

As to holding air for long periods of time, that's not necessarily a good thing. A tire which will hold air like that is built around a butyl tube like used with clinchers and adds a lot of rotating weight over a latex tube. If you're in my age group, keep using 'em. :-)

Money doesn't grow on trees, but when the total cost of doing an Ironman is $2,500-$4,000, $180 in new quality tires seems like the right thing to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular advice [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pull up tp the line at 220 lbs.I have always ran my tires at the upper limit.I don't have comfort issues so high pressure has never been a problem.That said I think lower pressure is faster.Read it some where.Tufo has a great selection of size's and tire weights.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular advice [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using the TUFO tires, I found them at TRI ZONE and have had great luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular advice [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suspect that you could be wrong here Tom. There aren't many clinchers that you'd run over 120 psi but we're talking about tubulars. The Conti Sprinters even say "170 psi"on them. I'm sure these companies know what they're doing. I've always subjectively felt that tublars feel more comfortable than clinchers, even at high pressures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like I have read that some studies have shown that 140 psi should be the fastest. Any higher and you slow it down. Anyone know the study I'm thinking of? I also remember reading that roadie pros don't inflate over 120? These are both stuck in my brain, but it seems like I read 'em a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Well, I run my clinchers at 110 or 115 psi, never less but never more. Tubulars never more than 120 psi. I like Michelin, ahh, whatever that new light blue one they used in the Tour de France a lot this year it's the Pro Light. I have to admit, I have no empiracle basis or supporting evidence for this hypothesis, except that I have tried higher pressures, up to 170 psi on Contis, and didn't care for it. It "felt" slower. I also didn't have a high degree of confidence in their cornering capability at those pressures. I did an article years ago when Michelin first entered the high end tire market and interviewed one of their product managers, he talked to me about "The energy required to deform the tire casing around obstacles on the pavement" and that the more energy required (due to a harder tire at higher pressures) the higher the rolling resistance went at a certain point. As I recall there was a point of diminishing return, i.e. There was a "sweet spot" of inflation- if you went much above it the tire slowed down, if you were below it the tire was also slow. Does this make any sense? Ever hear anything like this? I would love to know more.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The conti sprinter is a great tire. I use them in crits and do they hug. I run 160psi as I am heavier, 210. Be careful of the the glue you use with any tire. I used 3m fast tack and the lining of the tire, a taiwanese vittoria at the time, broke down and seperated from the tire. So I had the rug pulled out from under me in a corner at 30. The glue is actually too good. I'd be interested to hear what others say about 3m, especially tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular advice [Buzzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a vague warning on the 3M Fasttack tube that says something "Not intended for use other than specified". It is meant for attached automotive trim. We never recommend it as tubular adhesive. I feel it is dangerous. I recommend Panaracer clear cement or Continental clear cement.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I now have clinchers on my training bike, but only because our roads are constantly filled with glass from the rednecks who throw their Bud bottles at their wives running along side the pickup. :),

I race on tubulars. I put 130-200 in them depending on several factors. The primary consideration is the quality of the road surface. For instance, the Montreal IM mentioned in another thread is raced on a motor speedway. The surface is probably the best we'd likely find in any race. 200 psi would be my choice for that race. On the hand, if I were doing Paris-Roubaix (fat chance) I probably be down to 130! FWIW, an English pro racer told me that many top pros prefer high pressure in their "tyres" and even race P-R with them. For most American roads Tom is probably correct about the pressure. I always opt for higher, though, because I like the way the higher pressure tires go up the hills. When you slow down going up the hills, they have less rolling resistance, IMHO.

If you aren't confused by now, you never will be. :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular advice [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'll support that rolling resistance thing. I ride Sprinters, and their pretty good. I also have an old LA tubular thats pretty sweet. And just bought the podiums which look better than the sprinters cause their slick instead of having little bumps for tread, which has been shown to actuallly decrease grip on the road. I put 140 in the back and 150-160 up front. THe concept is that as you increase the psi----the wheel is that much harder and instead of rolling on the cement it makes micro bumps over the ground reducing the amount of time your tire is actually making contact with the ground. Not a big deal on the front tire cause its not a drive tire but on the rear its crucial. THats my logic.

jeremyb

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply