Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

missed workouts, what to do...
Quote | Reply
I follow a failrly structured training plan, but not bein a pro and running a business and having a family, life occasionally gets in the way and i'll miss a workout here and there. What is better to do...try to make up the workout at some other point (keeping rest/recovery in mind) or just skip it and move on with life. I'm not too concerned about missing some easy recovery type workouts (easy spins, slow easy runs) -- more concerned about missing key LSD or higher intensity (hill repeats, etc.) workouts. Example, this past sat was my planned long ride (on the trainer), but had to skip the day. Sun was my palnned long run day (1:40 planned). Instead I did 1:45 ride on the trainer and a 1:05 run later in the day. Was that OK or did i mess myself up?? Monday was a planned rest day, which I did.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: missed workouts, what to do... [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my athletes miss key workouts I try to re-arrange their schedule to fit them in if possible. Sometimes that means making a compromise like you did, but it's often better than missing them entirely. Busy athletes have to be flexible with their training so identifying the key workouts from the outset and making your schedule flexible around those is a good strategy.

It's difficult to comment on your specific situation without seeing your whole schedule, but one concern would be that you may not have accomplished either long workout effectively (not sure what the long ride was supposed to be). One way to have approached that would to have done the long run as planned, and then done the bike later, but shorter than the bike you missed on Sat, so a least you still get a good long run in. Or you could have combined them both into a brick workout to hit the endurance time goal of both workouts.

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what time of year it is. If you miss a workout and don't have an improtant race right around the corner, I'd recommend that just continue with your regular schedule and consider it a bonus rest day. If you need a key workout done because you are prepping for a race that is not too far off, then try and fit it in somehow.
Quote Reply
Re: missed workouts, what to do... [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is that you know what workouts are key/important sessions and which ones are recovery days. Then plan not to miss those key sessions, barring emergency. So if you have a key long Brick on Sunday and you know youre not going to do it, and sat you have an easy day, you might consider substituting your brick into Sat. Also, i dont know what type of training plan you follow, but it should fit your lifestyle, if your plan is setup right, then i cant see a reason to miss a session unless theres a sickness or injury.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen close!!!! Never miss a workout and if you do it MUST be made up. Latest info says that a missed workout could set you back months. I suggest you set your alarm for close to midnight and get in an extra workout! Or just listen to these other guys!
Quote Reply
Re: missed workouts, what to do... [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
{if your plan is setup right, then i cant see a reason to miss a session unless theres a sickness or injury} reply

What are you talking about??? You must not have a demanding full-time job, kids, a wife...
Quote Reply
Missing workouts is not allowed! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you miss your work-out take off from work the next day and wake up at 5 am for a century ride / 50K run brick to make up for "lost fitness". After all of that, drink your recovery drink and go immediatly to the pool for 4500 yards of intervals. Follow this routine for the remainder of the week and you will be back on track.

Only kidding....

If you are on a structured plan and keeping consistant, don't worry about it. My coach's advice to me is not to worry and move on to the next day. Completing 100% of your weekly schedule is ideal. If you can't get in a day or two, don't sweat it. One day will not make or break ya. Like the other posts say, you'll be better off with rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Missing workouts is not allowed! [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that I find helps...especially mentally, is to re-do the way you think about your training schedule in general. Too many people try to cram so much in that they are setting themselves up for failure and are destined to miss workouts. A better idea is to set up a minimum that you would be happy to *at least* complete. That way, you will have time to do the minimum, and if you have more time, you can throw in some extra work on the bike, for ex. But don't set yourself up to be disappointed by thinking "I suck, I should've done XYZ workout." Instead, say "I finished everything I was supposed to do, have some extra time, so I'm gonna treat myself to a 2 hour ride instead of 90 min, or swim and extra day this week."

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Missing workouts is not allowed! [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points.

We tend to structure out work-out schedules week to week as we do with the rest of our lives. This tends to lead to the "work out cramming", which can lead to a number of problems.

Better to step back and look at the whole season and month to month and know what work-outs do you need to do to be ready for race X. I had a bunch of bench-mark workouts in all three sports that were a very good predictor of how fit I was at a given time. If I missed a swim here or a bike there in the course of week, it was no big deal. However, I made sure that in each month that there were key core workouts that needed to be done to keep the fitness advancing through the season.

People need to know that relativly speaking there is NO fitness loss even when doing nothing for a whole week, so to miss a work-out here or there, is no big deal. However, if that key workout has been missed several times over the course of a month - then the athlete may be behind where they should be.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply