Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many spacers??
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine has a new bike that I think wasn't set up properly.I feel that there were too many spacers used to get the handlebars to the correct height.I think the bike doesn't fit.The head tube is about 140MM and the shop used 10 cm of spacers.The stem is about 120 mm with 10 deg of rise.Does anyone agree that a taller head tubed bike is in order or am I off on this.Any help?! and 1/8 carbon steerer tube.
Quote Reply
Re: How many spacers?? [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it's way to small. 100mm is a huge amount of spacers. I've never seen a bike with that much. 20-30mm looks like a lot so 100 must look ridiculous. For example, a 48cm p2k has a 100mm head tube and a 61 cm has a 180 mm. So there's only 80mm difference from the biggest to the smallest frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, Safety! No more than 4cm on a carbon 11/8 fork, as per Reynolds specs. If you need 10cm of spacers you are on the wrong size bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I re-read my post and noticed a mistake.I didn't want to edit so here are the corrections.50 mm of spacers and 130 headtube .Sorry.Dont know if this changes matters.Still what is the limit of acceptabilaty?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Koesel (sales rep, cyclist and also university trained engineer) told me the specification is 1.5 times the diameter of the fork steer tube can be used in spacers, but should not exceed that. We try to use that as a guideline. 10cm sounds like an awful lot. Please tell me this bike has never been anywhere near our shop.......

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How many spacers?? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checked Reynolds Web site and they say 1.5 inches on 1 1/8 head tube steerer.I mispoke on my first post and the correct number was 50 mm.That is about 1/2 an inch to many spacers coupled with 10 deg. rise stem it seems that the head tube is too short.That is assuming that the stem is at the proper hieght.
Quote Reply