Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar Bear Swin, anyone done one?
Quote | Reply
Thinking of jumping in Lake Michigan to kick off the new year. anyone have experience? any advice?

Mind you that i am not going to swim, just jump in with some friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Bear Swin, anyone done one? [jima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chickenned out of one in Lake Ontario a few year ago. There is also a New Year's Day scuba dive that I get invited to. Too much of a wuss even for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did The Last Marathon in Antarctica in 1999 we went swimming from the ship we sailed to Antarctica, the Akademik Ioffe. Dude, it was cccooooollldd. My body "seized" when I hit the water. A big 'ol Russian sailor in a survival suit grabbed me and pulled me up on the gangplank (or whatever you call those stairs on the side of the ship. Intense. Then we jumped in the sauna. I think it either took ten years off my life or added ten. One thing: Expect severe shrinkage.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Bear Swin, anyone done one? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
severe shrinkage!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went on cold water winter scuba dive in Lake Ontario a few years ago. I wore a wetsuit(7mm) instead of a dry suit. Was wearing a speedo underneath. After the dive I'm shivering and trying to quickly peel my wetsuit off. My wife looks over and makes the comment, "water sure must have been cold"!!
Quote Reply
Re: severe shrinkage!! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, my condolences to your wife and hopes your recovery was complete!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do them here in Florida all the time. New Years day and the water temp is colder then stink - generally around 75 degrees. Takes me forever to warm up. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Bear Swin, anyone done one? [Bernie S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, last December a friend and I waded across a channel off the Detroit River as part of a Dipps for Toys fundraiser. Booze was involved. The theme was "nuns." The worst part was seeing a big-bellied senior in a Santa hat and Speedo. We rode 18 mile to the River, so it was actually a demented brick workout. http://www.cityserv.com/dipp4toys.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never did one. The closest I got was to roll around in the snow after a super-hot sauna. I ran across these photos of his new year's swim at Bobo Anderson's site:

http://www.bobozone.com/

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived in Rhode Island I occasionally joined some of my friends in their goal to swim in the ocean at least once in every month. The most important thing I found was to run into the water down a beach... since jumping into frigid deep water is a great way to win a Darwin Award.

Below 50 degrees the water isn't "cold" anymore... it's more of a burning sensation.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Bear Swin, anyone done one? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]When I lived in Rhode Island I occasionally joined some of my friends in their goal to swim in the ocean at least once in every month. The most important thing I found was to run into the water down a beach... since jumping into frigid deep water is a great way to win a Darwin Award.

Below 50 degrees the water isn't "cold" anymore... it's more of a burning sensation.[/reply]

Yeah, if it's a little above that, it's all good since you can't feel anything. Tip, get your entire body in as fast as you can instead of taking little baby steps in. It makes a not so fun expierence a tab bit better. =)
Quote Reply