Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant Aero Tri bikes?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone own or have any opinions on the 2003 Giant TCR Aero 1 bike?

I have been looking at getting the Cervelo PK2, but someone suggested that I
look at the Giant line. They are both relative in price. But wondering on
the components as well, most are the same but one difference is the rims.
Which rims are better Mavic Ksyrium Elite ( Giant) or the Ritchey Aero DS
(Cervelo)

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Aero Tri bikes? [Bruce in GA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Empfield reviewed the TCR aero in either the last or next to last issue of Triathlete magazine.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Aero Tri bikes? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, let's try that post again. I have a Giant TCR-1 and Cervelo P2K.

First will this be your only bike. If so then forget about the P2K and get a road bike. The TCR series is an excellent choice for a road bike. If you already have a road bike and want a dedicated tri bike,then IMO, the P2K wins hands down. No contest. If you are only getting one bike then you should almost always get a road bike. If you live in a flat area where the roads are strait and you only train solo then just getting a tri bike might be OK, but if you really want to learn biking skills get a road bike and ride with roadies as well as adding aero bars for triathlons.

The problem with the TCR Aero is that it's a bit of a pretender in as much as it is actually a road geometry(74 degree seat post) with with cowhorns and aero shifters added. Also it's questionable as to how aero the tubing really is. In contrast the Cervelo tubing is the most aero to be found anywhere and is a genuine tri bike wth the steeper seat tube geometry(actually variable from 74-79 degrees).

The TCR is a great road bike. Team Once races them in the TDF and Luc Van Lierde won the 1999 IM Hawaii on one. But why pay more for the aero when you could buy a TCR-2 or TCR-1 cheaper, add Syntace C2 aero bars and have essentially the same thing.

I'll add a couple of other things. If you decide to go with a road bike also look at the Cervelo Soloist as a direct competitor to a TCR. It has a reversible seat post that gives you a road geometry and a mildly steep 76 degree seat post angle for triathlon and TT's. You can get the same thing with a Giant TCR by purchasing a M2 Racer power module seat shifter. I've found that my TCR works good as a tri bike at 75/76 degrees.

The TCR is only sold in three frame sizes with fitting being made possible thru variable stems and seat post lengths. This system will fit most people but is not ideal for everyone. The Soloist is offered in more sizes.

If you are unfamiliar with the differences between tri and road bikes read Dan Emfield's article on the Slowtwitch site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other option: Cervelo Soloist. Affordable with 105 components. Pretty fair all around road bike that can be used for tri's as well. I'm seeing more and more of these at races and owners say nice things about the bike. I love my P2k, but right now it's on the Computrainer (and will be until 2 weeks prior to my 1st race in April). My Trek 2300 is seeing all of the road riding this winter (just like last year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a kilo only for years and rode it everywhere . It climbed great etc. I usually ride with 5-15 others some on tri and some on road bikes. I don't know why a road bike would be the best buy???? He doing triathlons!!!! Probably the best choise would be a rode bike
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Aero Tri bikes? [cerveloguy] ... depends on use [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you only do tris and no road racing and it is your only bike then I would definitely get the P2K. I have one bike.... a tri bike and don't feel too disadvantaged being without a road bike. I train for tris and race tris on the same bike and it doesn't make much difference what the terrain is.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Aero Tri bikes? [cerveloguy] ... depends on use [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan, I'm definately not in agreement with you, but then to each their own. I would always say go with a road bike first and join a roadie group, especially for those coming into tri from running or swimming backgrounds with little cycling experience. I've learned more about cycling by group riding with roadies than I could ever hope to by just training by myself for tris. Roadie skills are definately superior to most tri-geeks. I don't road race but my biking has improved dramatically since I started hanging out with roadies.
A road bike is much more versatile than a tri bike. A tri bike is only designed for tris. Once you get past the newbie stage and become more serious about tris then go for the tri bike purchase. That's my $.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Aero Tri bikes? [cerveloguy] ... depends on use [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True perhaps if you do all of your rides solo or with just a few other tri geeks on tri bikes. However I don't advocate riding a tri-rocket while riding in a paceline with other bikers who are on road bikes. I've tried it and the common perception that it's a bad idea is spot-on. The vast majority of people I ride with are triathletes....and we all leave the rockets at home while riding together in the winter on training rides (and the summer for that matter). Tri bikes just don't handle well in peloton situations (to say the least). Then you factor in the performance increase of riding a tri bike vs road bike in most races.....for most riders the time improvement is negligable. I popped for the tri bike because of my overall commitment to the sport, and most races in the past year (and the next few years) are long course and IM. However I raced tri for 3 years on a roadbike prior to purchasing my beloved P2K. For most newbies....I recommend doing the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Aero Tri bikes? [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the advice/opinions. To provide further info.

This is my 2nd year in tri's. Last year I "played" around with a few sprints and OLY basically to supplement my marathon training/racing.

This year, I want to raise the bar some and enter 1-2 1/2 IM's, and I am endurance based and not speed based from running marathons, I prefer the longer tri's/

I currently use an old road bike (approx. 10 years old) that I slapped on aero bars last year. I intend to keep that bike to use on my indoor trainer and an occosially road ride.

Most of my riding/training ( or projected riding this year) will be done alone or with a small group of other triathletes.

So that is why I was thinking a tri only bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" "So that is why I was thinking a tri only bike. "
ok. Then a P2K is a very good choice.
Quote Reply