Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinionated versus being a hard head... warning Rant...
Quote | Reply
I ran into a friend of mine (who also happens to be my fitter) at a bike shop and we started talking about things in general. He knows that I spend some of my free time on the web board and we started talking about the goings on in virtual tri land...

Anyways One of the things that we talked about people who are opinionated. I enjoy this forum a lot becuase there are a lot of interesting opinions out there and there is also good discussion.

At the same time there are certain subjects that I tend to avoid reading becuase I feel that opinions have become hardened into what people to be absolute truth... These people are very difficult to have a dialogue with.

When you lack the humility to realize that you may be wrong you lose the opportunity to learn from others.

Dialogue is one of the areas which people in general can learn from the scientific community...

The scientific community is not infalliable but they have a system that encourages and expects criticism and dialogue. Their system involves publishing journals, with your methodology, your results, and your conclusion. Once it is out there it is meant to be scrutinized and criticized and tested... The point being scientists put there work out there knowing and expecting to be criticized and challenged... I think there is something to be learned from this approach...

There is so much to be learned form each other. So next time that someone challenges you on something you state, be sure to take the time to listen. Also be willing to question the basic assumptions you base your opinions on... and question other people's assumptions as well.

PS. This was not directed directly at any specific persons... just something I needed to get off my chest.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinionated versus being a hard head... warning Rant... [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The scientific community is not infalliable but they have a system that encourages and expects criticism and dialogue."

For the longest time I was in loud denial regarding the aero properties of tubing. I was convinced it was just a big maketing scam and had no significance to bike performance.That's no doubt true with some manufacturers but Cervelo, Cobb and Martin have convinced me otherwise, although I still wonder if the differences are as great as claimed..
Quote Reply
Re: Opinionated versus being a hard head... warning Rant... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder the same thing... I think that it is essential to ask these fundamental questions... I think that sometimes the answer to some questions may vary from person to person...
Quote Reply
Re: Opinionated versus being a hard head... warning Rant... [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most of us will agree, opinions are like a$$holes...
Quote Reply
Re: Opinionated versus being a hard head... warning Rant... [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as you all remember that what ever you think....I am still right.

:)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi taku and everyone. Yup, I agree completely. Sometimes I am concerned that the opinions I voice are not well enough informed or that I am distributing incorrect information in the case of facts. The great thing about this forum is that the other guys and girls on here always call me on it when I'm wrong or they disagree- and there in lies the critical value of the forum. It is a testing ground for my thoughts, opinions and information. That is also why I post so often (or try to). It is also good advertising for our store (admittedly). I hope people do not perceive my opinions as arrogant. I know they are sometimes very strong. AS Matt said in a previous post, I do tend to "tell it like it is" at least how I think it is, which I acnowledge may not be how it REALLY is. Anyway, thank you taku for a thoughtful and thought-provoking post.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply